F150 ENGINE PING

2001 Ford F-150

allenteel53

November, 20, 2009 AT 7:12 PM

2001 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 165, 00 miles

I've had this pick-up since it had 50,000 mi, just recently it has started pinging as if I was using low octane fuel, I've started using higher octane fuel, also have tried using an octane booster and just recently changed the fuel filter which helped some of the chugging issues I was having but I still have the ping, I've been told by a non proffessional that it could the timing chain, could this be a viable answer.

4.2 Pinging

Jacobandnickolas

November, 22, 2009 AT 8:47 PM

It could be a timing issue. However, usually you will hear a worn timing chain. It will actually make noise in the engine. Also, usually you will get a ping when the timing is advanced. A loose chain will do the opposite.

Therefore, I would check / replace the Knock Sensor (KS). The KS is a tuned accelerometer on the engine which converts engine vibration to an electrical signal. The PCM uses this signal to determine the presence of engine knock and to retard spark timing if needed. Its goal is to keep the timing as advanced as possible for the best performance to a point right to where the engine is ready to ping.

Here is a picture of it and it's location:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_knock_1.jpg

I hope it is large enough for you to see. It is actually located on the rear of the driver's side head behind the steel fuel line.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015