FORD F150 5.0L RESPONSIVENESS AND PINGING

• revkev316
  • 1988 Ford F-150
  • automatic

How can I make my 88 Ford F150 5.O litre engine more responsive and stop pinging when I give it gas?

Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 AT 6:46 PM

• Wrenchtech

Set the timing correctly, make sure the EGR system is working and use higher octane fuel if necessary.

Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 AT 7:03 PM
  • revkev316

How do I go about adjusting the valves on this engine.

Monday, June 13th, 2011 AT 3:11 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

This is an '88

Is this a high pitched "Pinging" (like a ball peen hammer striking an anvil?

Or is this Tapping and Rattle sounds under the valve cover?

If these are stock heads--there is now "user friendly way" to adjust rocker arms (taking up valve train slack)

If you are tapping and rattling, substituting a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in place of a quart of oil--next oil change. This "may" Clean up your tappets (hydraulic lifters). They are designed to take up slack as the valve train wears. Your engine may also just be "Tired" and no magic tricks will help. A rebuild may soon be on your "to do list"

Your Turn,

The Medic

Monday, June 13th, 2011 AT 4:08 AM
  • Wrenchtech

I'm afraid CJ is incorrect. The valve lash is "non-adjustable" in this engine. The only way it can be changed is to change the length of the pushrods. Valve lash doesn't appear to be your problem anyway.

Monday, June 13th, 2011 AT 9:52 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

Roger, definitely a type-O on my part, "Now" shoulda been "NO"

The way this site used to operate, I coulda went back and fixed that, If it can be done now, I have not figured it out yet! The only way I know of now, is to contact one of the big guys, and have them do it.

Regardless, I still would have had to catch it 1st. Sorry.

Even in changing the length of push-rods, Either: 1) You usually select a longer rod that will position the inner part of the tappets, into a different location and the tappets still work as they should.

2) You take out all of the tappets adjustment, with the longest push-rod possible (rendering the tappet into operating as a solid lifter) The Bad thing with doing this is, each push-rod must be selected to perfection, as not to "keep valves open" and to allow for expansion. Older vehicles (like way on back!) Had solid lifters and a "screw type" adjustment, feeler gauges were used to provide correct clearances.

Still, amongst all of our bickering, we have not heard from you?

Is is this "Pinging" (detonation), or is this Valve train, Rattle and Clatter?

As Wenchtech said, "Check the Timing, EGR, and a fuel upgrade may help (Either situation) Along with a full scale "Tune-Up" and maybe the Marvel Mystery Oil. Then on your next oil change after that, use a "oil stabilizer" in with your oil, follow the bottle's directions.

Your Turn

The Medic

Monday, June 13th, 2011 AT 12:08 PM
  • Wrenchtech

I see no reason to be messing with your lifters, pushrods or oil. None of these things have anything to do with pinging.

Monday, June 13th, 2011 AT 12:53 PM