F150 AC LEAK

2000 Ford F-150

davem

February, 10, 2008 AT 11:59 AM

Air Conditioning problem
2000 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 111350 miles

Ive got a 2000 ford 150. It has a small " pin" leak at the top of the accumulator/collector tank. I believe it is made of aluminum. I released all the pressure and sanded the area where the leak is and cleaned it. I then applied some JB weld to it and let that dry completely. I then recharged it with the refridgerent. It worked good and blew out some cold air but only held for about a day, and all the refrigderent leaked out again. I know this cant be a rare problem because we have a chevy astro van with a leak caused by a wireing harness rubbing against the AC lines which is the same cause of the leak in my truck. I dont know what else to do. Should I try alumi-weld which is like JB weld but for aluminum? Or do they make any fix for this kind of problem? Please help! THANKS!

merlin2021

February, 10, 2008 AT 12:01 PM

Why don't you just replace it? That's the SURE fix.

J.S.T.

May, 17, 2011 AT 7:48 PM

Hello I'm an AC Tech by trade and I have the same problem as Daven. I would like to Repalce the ac accumulator, but I see that the lines that go into the Evaporator don't come apart. Do I have to remove the dash, and remove the evaporator to get them apart? I just need to remove the accumulator.

merlin2021

May, 18, 2011 AT 9:03 AM

An ac tech? Use the ford line tool, wrap around line and push it into the connection pull lines apart.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Air Condition Condenser Replacement
Blend Door Actuator Replacement