Whining noise when accelerating

GUZDUZ
  • 1 POST
  • 1999 FORD F-150

Transmission problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 121000 miles

My truck whines when I am in gear and accelerate. When I give it gas, the whiny noise gets quite loud and annoying inside the cab (don't know about outside). When I ease up the noise gets less whiney. It happens in all gears, but I don't have any power loss. Just a whining noise when in gear. I was told it might be the torque converter, or pump, but after further reading I was wondering about the transmission filter. I've got a 99 F-150 also and it just started making a whining noise. Can just barely hear it while in park or neutral and revving the motor, it's mainly while accelerating. I figure since it can be heard somewhat while in park and neutral that it's not the tranny, but not sure about the torque converter. Let me know if you found anything. Thanks

Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 10:02 PM

KEN

Yep the truck will make a whining noise when the transmission filter is plugged. It makes noise while its in gear becasue this is when the pump is activated in the transmission. Here is a guide to give you an idea of what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

Here is what it will be like for your truck (below) Video.

https://youtu.be/OSRkzuX20o8

I have also seen whining noises because the power steering pump needs replacement but it doesn't sound like this is the problem with your truck becasue it doesn't do it all the time like a PS pump would

Here is a video just in case.

https://youtu.be/C1h8Xl1E8hI

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 2:26 PM
PWILLIAMS582
  • 2 POSTS
  • 1999 FORD F-150

Noises problem
1999 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

When I start my truck a whining noise can be heard over the engine. I think it might be coming from the alternator but I could be wrong. When I put the truck into drive and just sit there the whining stops when I accelerate it starts whining with the acceleration of the engine.
And seems to disappear around 60 mph. It started about a week ago. I replaced the battery because I had the alternator and battery tested and the only conclusion we could come up with would being the battery is bad it s causing the alternator to run faster then normal which is creating this humming noise. The noise didn't stop after the battery had been replaced. Now I am leaning towards replacing the alternator even though the test showed that it was still good. My fear is that it isn t the alternator. What else could it be? What should my next step be?

Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 2:28 PM (Merged)
PWILLIAMS582
  • 2 POSTS

I check the power steering fluid level and it seems to be where it should be. It doesnt really sound like it could be that.

GOBIGO00
  • 2 POSTS

I have the same year and Model truck and it was doing the exact same thing. I found that the rubber hose running from the body obove the driver side wheel well (under hood) had come loose from the air filter housing. After re connecting hose the whining noise stopped. Simple enough. So check your hoses connected to the air filter.

+1
BIGMAMAP
  • 7 POSTS
  • 2001 FORD F-150

As we accelerate to speeds over 25 the truck begins to whine and continues until we slow down.

KHLOW2008

It would depend ono where the noise is coming from ans since it is speed related, I would start with checking the various differentials. They could be out of gear oil.

Other possibilities would be wheel bearings.

BIGMAMAP
  • 7 POSTS

It only makes the noise at speeds over 25 so can't shift to neutral while driving.

How do we check various differentials to add gear oil?

How do er check wheel bearings?

SATURNTECH9

Why can't you shift into neutral while driving?I have done that many times on many different vechiles for diagnosing problems.

+1
KEVINC428
  • 10 POSTS
  • 2008 FORD F-150

When I take off from a stop there is a loud whine coming from the front of the truck. It whines all the way through first gear then half way through second. It also does this when I am shifting. Once I step on the clutch I hear the whine. When I downshift into second it gets really loud. Any suggestions?

BIGMAMAP
  • 7 POSTS

Will try next time out. What about the other questions?

How do we check wheel bearings?

KEVINC428
  • 10 POSTS

From what I have been reading im guessing it might need trans fluid

KHLOW2008

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-fluid-levels

Above link has information on how to check differential oil level.

For checking wheel bearings, lift up wheels and check for excessive side play by shaking the wheel lightly. Turn the wheel manually and note if any noise ie emitted. Light noise would be hard to detect if you do not have any experience with it.

Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 2:29 PM (Merged)
BIGMAMAP
  • 7 POSTS

Thanks for that information. What type of oil do we use in the differential gear?

KEVINC428
  • 10 POSTS

I heard the noise for the first time yesterday and havent drove it since. But I checked the clutch fluid and its very low so im going to fill that back up. Could low clutch fluid cause a whine? This is my first manual trans so im new to this

BIGMAMAP
  • 7 POSTS

There appears to be no port on the differential as shown in the picture from the link given. It does appear to have leaked or to be leaking. Now what?

TY ANDERSON
  • 703 POSTS

Does the noise occur all the time?
Does it happen if you rev the engine in neutral?
Does it only happen when the vehicle is in motion?
I'm trying to narrow down what is causing the noise.

-1
JESS WATER DOWN
  • 1 POST
  • 1980 FORD F-150

With hubs in free still feels like its in 4wheel and you'll hear a whining and in any gear it pops out but if u shift to neutral and put it in 4lo it goes but then feels as if it is still in 4lo

SATURNTECH9

So are you talking about the front differential or rear differential?Also you can put a hand on the coil spring while turning the wheel to feel for a bad wheel bearing.

-1
KEVINC428
  • 10 POSTS

It does not happen when I rev the engine in neutral. It only happens when its in motion in gear

BIGMAMAP
  • 7 POSTS

Rear differential appears to have leaked or lealing-How do we add oil and what kind?