1992 Ford F-150 Running really rich and no POWER

TRX2FIVEO
  • 1992 FORD F-150
Hello this will be my first post here. I have a 1992 F-150 2wd 5.0Liter, it's been sitting for about 1 1/2 years I have already done a complete tune on it plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and air filter. My Issue is that for one the truck will not accellerate if you floor it. If you ease on the throttle it will eventually get to 55. Lol. The second issue is while it's sitting you can't stand to be anywhere near the truck for the RICH exhaust and smoke. I have cleaned the throttle body checked for vacum leaks, cleaned the EGR passages replaced the MAP. I have added seafoam to the fuel which I feel may be the whole issue since it's stale? Any insight would be most helpful. Thnks in advance.
MOOSE
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 10:15 AM

Hi TRX2FiveO, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Probable causes of an engine running rich are as follows:

1. Excessive fuel pressure can be cause by restricted fuel return line or defective fuel pressure regulator.
2. Defective Oxygen Sensors.
3. Leaking injectors and fuel pressure regulator.
4. Coolant temperature sensor out of calibration.
5. Restricted air intake system.

Could be the stale fuel in it, also check the charcoal canister if its saturated with fuel
+1
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 2:59 PM
TRX2FIVEO
Thanks for the reply. I know the O2 is new and the air intake system is clean. I will check the return line, charcoal canister and regulator. Thanks again. We did remove the tank and drained the fuel system (lines ect.) And tank put in fresh fuel but it's still running extremely rich. I pulled the plugs all are sooted black.
+1
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 6:09 PM
Try running an injection cleaner thru it
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 6:15 PM
TRX2FIVEO
I think we may have found the Issue. The early 90's ford truck put the PCM in a bad location (through the firewall under the brake booster) allowing it to be vunerable to water. We removed the computer to find it extremely rusted and it looks as though it had sat in a puddle of water. We are going to go ahead and swap it out just to cover that portion.
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 9:46 PM