1990 Ford F-150 won't run.

AUTOWOLF80
  • 1990 FORD F-150
The engine will start, but immediately dies. Have spark and fuel pump runs for a couple secs then stops like it should. Changed fuel filter and fuel pump relay thinking that may have been the problem. Still the same issues. It's got a distributor if that matters. Would inertia switch cause this?
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 12:14 AM

Have you checked fuel pump pressure?
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 12:41 AM
AUTOWOLF80
Not yet I don't have a tester for that on hand.
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 1:33 AM
AUTOWOLF80
Pressure tested today primed at let to run position at 38 psi. It started today and runs. Tried to die twice. With truck running pressure is at 48 psi and spikes to 56 psi when revved up. Thinking it was bad gas or water in the tank?
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 4:38 PM
You may have gotten bad fuel. Try running it a couple days to see if it gets better.

Let me know.

Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 8:09 PM
AUTOWOLF80
Well it was running fine let it get warm. Later today I t
ried to go somewhere in it. It started back firing real bad and dying at idle. Wouldn't stay running unless you were giving it a lot of gas still back firing while doing that. Got a code for the egr. Would that cause those symptoms?
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 10:14 PM
Yes, it could. Remove the egr and see if the valve is working and closing properly. Clean any carbon from both the EGR and intake. If the EGR seems okay, make sure the vacuum hose to it isn't plugged.

Let me know what you find.
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 10:17 PM
AUTOWOLF80
Egr seems to be working fine vacuum works when you can keep it running. Cleaned the tb, iac, spark plugs, cap and rotor. Plugs and c&r had some black dry deposits on them, not a huge amount that every cloth and wire brush couldn't take off. Regap the plugs and reinstalled all other parts. Tried to start it same issues. Won't run unless gas is pushed and back firing bad.
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 12:00 AM
Is it backfiring through the intake or exhaust? Have you checked the catalytic converter?
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 1:32 PM
AUTOWOLF80
Backfired coming out the exhaust pipe. Haven, t checked that only thing I can say is it doesn't sound clogged when it was running decent.
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 2:16 PM
Have you checked the distributor cap for cracks?
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 7:24 AM
AUTOWOLF80
Did a koeo test with a flash code scanner its not showing any faults. Checked and cleaned distributor didn't see any cracking on the housing. Carbon cleaned the iac, egr and tb. Cleaned spark plugs. It starts then immediately dies or stumbles for a few secs then dies. I am so stumped.
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 9:24 PM
The only other thing I can think of is a crank sensor or coil.
Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 1:48 PM
AUTOWOLF80
Does it have a crank position sensor? Didn't think it did since it had a distributor.
Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 2:09 PM
AUTOWOLF80
Guess I was wrong. It was a plugged cat. I cut a good size hole front of it and it started and runs like it used too. Idles at a lower rpm than before. I hope its straightened out now. Guess it time to run some new pipes.
Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 7:27 PM
I'm glad you found it. I was starting to get lost because everything was checking out good. Regardless, take care and let us know if you have questions in the future.

Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 12:21 AM