1989 Ford F-150 Coolant Leak

BLACKOUTFORD
  • 1989 FORD F-150
Ok, I found a coolant leak between the timing cover and the block on the right side and took off the timing cover along with other items needed to get there. I saw a message on the parts store computer about replacing the oil pan gasket at the same time- probably because of the front pan oil seal. I got all the parts(gaskets, silicone, tools etc.). What is the best way of replacing the pan gasket without removing the engine and/or transmission and would I need to remove the transmission totally to install the rear seal (it probably needs replacing anyway)? Or would I need to replace the pan gasket at all?
Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 1:23 AM

JACK42
I usually use the replacement piece that comes in the timing cover gasket set instead of replacing the oil pan gasket, which pretty much requires removal of the engine to do it right. But if you plan on doing the rear main seal (behind flexplate)then you might want to just pull the engine and do a re-seal on it. Pan gasket replacemment isnt req'd to do the timing cover, If it isnt leaking, dont disturb it
Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 7:42 AM