REPLACE OR CLEAN INJECTORS

Ford Explorer

mr_dls

May, 8, 2006 AT 5:57 AM

Hi, I have a 92 ford explorer xlt with approx. 170,000 miles on it. I recently had a service shop diagnose the reason it was running sluggish( I could press the gas pedal to the floor and it wouldn't pick up speed). I was told the #2 and #5 fuel injectors needed to be replaced and they couldn't be cleaned because they are self-cleaning injectors. I do have some knowledge of auto repair(earned diploma for main. Tech) so this sounded fishy to me. So, is it possible to have the injectors cleaned or flushed or do they absolutely have to be replaced? Also, what would be the best way of going about the job myself? Thanks.

losone

May, 8, 2006 AT 6:26 PM

The tip is self cleaning but the gas intake end has a tiny micro filter. It can be celaned with a power flush from a pro.

Give me a little more info on the sluggish feel.

mr_dls

May, 11, 2006 AT 12:18 AM

Well, the truck seems as if it needs a major tune-up. The first time I try to crank it it dies out the second time it starts up but idles roughly. When I try and drive it doesn't get above 30- 35mph, even if I press the gas pedal to the floor board. The tech that diagnosed it said he checked everything( psi from tail pipe, fuel pressure, and plugs and wires) then he said he checked the injectors and that was the problem. I know the plugs and wires and pvc valve were ok - I changed them myself. So once again--thanks.

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front