ODOMETER STOPPED WORKING

Ford Explorer

ckranae

April, 17, 2007 AT 2:05 PM

Hello, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT, V6, with 124850 miles on it. I recently had it serviced/repaired at the dealership. Odometer, etc. All worked fine when I pulled in, I monitor my gas mileage so it's something I notice. Part of the work performed was removal and replacement of upper control arms & inner tie rods, alignment, oil change, tune up, new filters, cooling system flush service, and a new steering mechanism/column (my cruise control buttons had deteriorated on my current steering wheel, they offered me one " on the side" that had newer/better buttons - that was not included in my invoice, I had to pay a mechanic on the side). I noticed after pulling out of the dealership that my odometer and trip counter were not working. Speedometer IS working. I took it back and they are saying none of the work performed on my truck affected the odometer, and they want to charge me over $300 to " fix" it. I guess my question is, could any of the above work/service have caused this? I thought it would be a simple " oops we forgot to reconnect that" or something, instead it turned into " give us more money, we didn't do it" They told me it's the speedometer mechanism, even though THAT is working? Thanks for any feedback.

GeorgeRR

April, 19, 2007 AT 12:30 PM

Don't know the specific answer, but, I had the same problem; The bright side is that after a couple days, mine started working again.
It quit after I drove about a 1/4 mile on a washboard rd.
The only thing I can figure about mine is that connector came partially loose when I drove over that pos road, and then it re connected itself?
In your case, the mechanic at the dealer might have pushed on something that created a bad connection. BTW, I contacted a local dealer and he said that the speed ometer would have to be replaced or repaired

merlin2021

April, 19, 2007 AT 4:08 PM

Ask the guy who changed the column " on the side" if he will check his work. Any time you remove a steering colomn, the column could contact parts involved in odometer! If the speedometer cable is not tight, odometer may be affected. If you reach up you will find a cable, follow it to the instrument panel, and tighten the nut!

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement