REMOVING THE REAR BRAKE ROTORS

2005 Ford Explorer

kbrandel4314

Brakes problem
2005 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Last weekend, I tried to replace the rear brakes in our 2005 Ford Explorer. Everthing went fine until it came to removing the old rotors. I had the rotors loose but they would not come off due to the emergency brake or at least I think what was holding it on. I did not want to pound on it to hard for fear of breaking it. Any help would be neccessary!

Service Writer

After the caliper is off, Whack the rotor with a hammer and spin it and whack it again. IT will work off. If anything let's go, it was probably ready to replace anyways.

Dave H

Removal
Remove the brake pads. For additional information, refer to BRAKE PADS.
NOTE: If the brake disc binds on the parking brake shoe and lining, remove the adjustment hole knockout panel or access plug and contract the parking brake shoe and lining.

NOTE: If the brake disc cannot be removed easily, apply rust penetrant on the brake disc-to-hub mating surfaces.

Remove the brake disc.

Service Writer

January, 13, 2009 AT 6:07 AM

Up here in snow and salt country, the adjusters aren't too cooperative too often. Almost all of them I do, I have to remove the adjuster and free it, clean it and lube it.

calebhernandez

August, 11, 2012 AT 5:46 PM

I have a 2005 ford explorer sport the passenger side rear brake caliper is loose the 2 bolts have been tighten the the pads are still loose not by much but when I brake it makes a grinding noise the rotor is in good condition please help with some advice

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front