White smoke

ALMOTEAM
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
. Recently whenever I start the car I get a huge puff of white smoke coming from the tail pipe. I know its not your typical condensation. It usually clears up after a minute or two. Also my engine light just came on. Any ideas.
Sunday, May 23rd, 2010 AT 5:44 AM

2CEXPT
If its not condensation its probably coolant burning in the cylinders thru a crack from the head gasket, head or block and intake manifold but when the engine gets up to normal temperature it seals itself due to metal expansion and fades away till it gets cooled again. Get it block (Chemical) and pressure tested.

Read this guide, it will help explain things

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test
Sunday, May 23rd, 2010 AT 5:52 AM
COOLE041
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
Today I noticed white smoke coming from my tail pipe and under the engine. When I opened the hood I could see coolant leaking on the engine block from a hose. What could this be and is it serious.
+1
Saturday, January 12th, 2019 AT 5:12 PM (Merged)
WRENCHER1
If you saw a leaking hose, then you have answered your own question.
Have the hose repaired and the have the cooling system pressure tested to see if that was the only problem. Do not run the engine before that. You could have already done internal damage by getting it too hot.
BONESBRIGADE
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
Ive got a ford explorer that in the when I first crank it up. It ll exhaust some white smoke out of the exhaust. It ll go away in a matter of minutes. It runs fine. Seems like when it blows white smoke, it kind of runs a lil rough as far as the idling. I had asked a mechanic about it. He seems to think it is the lower intake gasket because I am having some coolant leak somewhere. Its not a whole lot of coolant and ive never had any overheating problems. I was wanting your opinion on this. Thanks for answering my question!
+1
JAMES W.
Sounds like a coolant leak into a cylinder(s). The intake manifold would be the first thing to ckeck. Worse case scenario would be a headgasket or a cracked head, but I doubt it. Hope this helps.
GLENNYB
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
My 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition has 133K miles on it, and is blowing white smoke out the exhaust pipe for about 30-60 seconds after the initial start-up in the morning. The smoke also has a smell to it. I've also noticed that I've needed to top off the coolant occassionaly lately also. Is this possibly a head gasket issue. But there is not a milky film on the oil dip stick. How else would coolant be leaking into the exhaust since it's not leaking on the garage floor? Thx. Glenn (PA)
2CEXPT
Could be just condensation if not and there's no external leaks-nothing in the crankcase get it block and pressure tested to rule out a blown headgasket, cracked head or block.
SEAN BROWN
  • 1992 FORD EXPLORER
I have gas pouring out of my exhaust by the muffler. I can start the car and it will idle fine but then after a minute of warm up white smoke bellows out of the exhaust and I have a puddle of gas on the ground. Please help
BMRFIXIT
Check oil does it have gas in it too
check fuel pressure regulator and injectors
DAISYFLOWER24
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
I have an over full oil gauge. It was over full when I bought the vehicle but I thought someone just put to much oil in. So I had it changed. Now my oil level is half way up the dip stick and it smells like gasoline. Also when I start the vehicle it takes a couple turns usually to get it started and white/blueish smoke comes out the tail pipe. Then I noticed when I hit the gas driving at time there is a clicking sound and when I hear that sound a cloud of smoke comes out the tail pipe just like when I start the vehicle. What does this mean and can
I fix the problem? One other thing. My transmission fluid leaks to the extent that I must put in two quarts of transmission fluid in every week or so. We thought it was the gasket so replaced that and changed the transmission fluid but it is now still leaking. I heard something about it being a seal? Is that expensive to fix and how serious is the problem? Please help me out. Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Daisy
The white smoke has be thinking a bad head gasket. However, if you smell fuel in the oil, that makes me think it is running rich, not burning all the fuel, and with the miles on it, the fuel is getting past the rings. Have you noticed the coolant level lowering?

As far as the trans, is the leak between the trans and engine?
Saturday, January 12th, 2019 AT 5:13 PM (Merged)
DAISYFLOWER24
No the coolant has not gotten lower. But when I bought it I had to put a new radiator in it. We flushed the coolant and it was very brown and dirty. Now it sort of looks like it is getting dirty again.

As far as the transmission I don't really know where it is leaking. I just know my Dad changed the gasket and said he thinks it is a seal. And he said that is a lot of work?
If it is the front seal, the trans needs removed, so yes it is a lot of work. However, the part is cheap. I need you to keep an eye on the white smoke. Keep checking the coolant level to make sure it doesn't go down. If it does, let me know so I can direct you as to how to check things.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Sponsored links