How to add trans fluid

GD076C
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER

Transmission problem 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

My 03 explorer won`t go forward only reverse I think I might need some trans fluid but I don`t know how to add it? Can you please help me? I love this site

Monday, August 16th, 2010 AT 1:55 PM

This transmission has a fill port on the transmission pan. Here are some diagrams (below) that will show you how to do the job. You basicly pump it in through the bottom and it will drain out the excess.

Here is how you service it

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

(Check out the diagrams below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers

+2
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 1:04 AM
ABSOLUTERED

The normal process for filling the transmission would be through the dipstick tube. This will normally be located on the back side of the engine, near the firewall (rearmost part of engine compartment). Check the fluid first with the engine at normal temperature, while running, and in park. If the fluid is low, fill it to the required level with the manufacturer's recommended fluid type. Use caution to not over-fill.

Be wary, some of the transmissions Ford placed in the Explorers do not have a dipstick tube. These transmissions were designed to be sealed when manufactured. Should any problems arise with the transmission, service or overhaul will be required by either the dealership or a qualified transmission repair facility.

+1
Saturday, August 21st, 2010 AT 10:46 PM
DARYLD16
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER

What tool do I need to add transmission fluid to my 2003 ford explorer?

Saturday, November 18th, 2017 AT 8:50 PM (Merged)

You need a special plug to go into the pan and a special cannister that hooks up to it. It's better tojust take it to a trans shop and have them do it. I'm sure they won't charge a huge amount to do it.

-1
2002EXPLORER
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER

2002 Ford Explorer V6 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

my son is 16 and wanted to change his own oil and ended up draining the transmission fluid and overfilling the oil pan we drained the oil but can not find where to add trans fluid and there is no dip stick on this car. The car will not go forward or reverse.

FLEXY5

Unfortunatly this was one of Ford's dumber ideas. There is no dipstick! The drain plug, which your son removed, has a threaded plug in the center of it, which requires a torques bit to remove. Ford made a special tool to thread into this hole. It may be available now through off-brand retailers but i'm not sure of that. Then you are suppose to connect a small hose to the tool and pump the fluid into the trans. You can use a single quart container with a pointed tip and turn it upside down and accomplish the same thing by squeezing the bottle. The trans is full when the fluid runs out at a steady drizzle, while the engine is running with the trans in Neutral. If you have drained the fluid, though, I would suggest adding two quarts first without the vehicle running, then start it and place it in Neutral. Remember that if the vehicle is not on a lift, block the tires in both directions and and apply the Park Brake. Use only Mercon V fluid. Trans failure can (and will) occur if the wrong fluid is placed in the trans.
Good Luck.

+2
SLEEPAY
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER

How do I add transmission fluid? Where is the plug located?

MARLIS
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORERFORD EXPLORER

2003 ford explorer, 4x4, V8, 83000 km.
My son gave my vehicle an oil change, or so we thought. After it was done, I drove about 5 km. He had told me when he was done that it only took 2 litres of oil which I thought wasn't right. The bottom line, he drained the transmission fluid and overfilled the oil. And then I drove about 5 km. With this newer vehicle, there is no place to add a lot of transmission fluid. So now I have to get the vehicle towed to the garage to refill the transmission oil, do an oil change and see what kind of damage is done to the motor and tranny. What are your thoughts?Thank you

CAROLINE
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER

1994 Ford Explorer Engine Size unknown Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 630000 miles

hi, I need to get to the transmission fluid dipstick to add some fluid, but I can t reach it, help. Caroline p.S. At the last oil change they said my bearings were screaming so?

CARLUCCIJA

Your dipstick is located near the passenger side of the the engine closest to the firewall of the car. Its probably a black T-bar looking handle that says transmission on it. The dipstick is partially blocked from view from wire covers. Just take a look back there and you should see it.

2CARPROS KEN

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Here is a guide that can help you see what to look for

Cheers, Ken

Wednesday, November 22nd, 2017 AT 11:13 AM