2002 Ford Explorer My expolrer is overheating

KOUKI 240SX
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
Hello I was woundering if you know what going on with my suv. Today I turn on the car and I heard something pop but I thought it was no big deal, then I went to pick up my soon and as I waited with the car on and out of no where the rpms when up to 3000rpms by it's self. After that on my way home I started to smell something like oil burning but when I got home the hood started smokeing. And I pothe hood open and I saw this green color liquid that I think was the coolent and the engine was over heating. What could this be? The thermostat houseing? (When I put water in the car it just leaks out of the thermostat houseing)
Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 9:12 PM

THe green liquid sounds like coolant. However, is the thermostat cracked or leaking at the gasket or hose?

Let me know so I can etter guide you.

+1
Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 10:37 PM
KOUKI 240SX
Yes it's the gasket it's leaking and the engine never cooles down it's says heated up for awhile.
+1
Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 10:37 AM
Replace the thermostat. When you get the new one, it will come with a gasket. Inspect the thermostat housing to make sure there is no damage and just clean everything and install the new parts.

Let me know if that takes care of it.

+1
Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 11:52 AM
KOUKI 240SX
Yes the temostat is broken I can tell and today I'm going to get a new one at the ford dealer I'll tell you if that dose fix it thanks alot for your help
+1
Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 3:01 PM
KOUKI 240SX
Good news I changed the termostat houseing and got a new gasket and now it works just fine and it dose not leak out anymore! And now the explorer dose not overheat and it dose not smell like burning coolent. Thanks alot for your help. I'll be back when ever I have another problem. And I'll tell my friends about this web site.
+1
Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 7:58 PM
I'm glad you got it fixed. Let us know if you have questions in the future, and we would appreciate you telling friends about the site.

Take care, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com,

Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 11:08 PM