FRONT WHEEL BEARING,

2002 Ford Explorer

mkramer31

July, 4, 2009 AT 9:53 PM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2002 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I am a decent machanic and would like try replacing the fromt wheel bearings on this car. Would you reccomend this only to the pros or is it reasonable to DIY. If I do it should I buy the whole hub and bearing assembly to make it easier? What tools will I need.

Front Wheel Bearing

BMRFIXIT

July, 4, 2009 AT 10:02 PM

Wheel bearings are not adjustable. The wheel bearings and hubs are serviced as an assembly.

Its an easy job
the only hard thing would be removing axle nut
this is what I have for step by step

HUB & BEARING
Removal & Installation
Remove and discard the axle-to-wheel hub nut. Disconnect the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) wheel speed sensor connector located in the engine compartment, secured to the fender aprons. Raise and support vehicle. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. Detach the speed sensor wiring harness from the retainers.
Remove the bolts and position the brake caliper and support bracket aside. Do not allow the disc brake caliper to hang suspended from the brake hose. Provide a suitable support. Remove the brake disc.
CAUTION:Do not overextend the CV joint and boots when removing the wheel hub.

Using the Front Wheel Hub Remover (D93P-1175-B), press the outboard CV joint until it is loose in the hub. See Fig. 1 . Remove the three hub bolts and discard them. See Fig. 2 . Remove the wheel hub and sensor as an assembly.
Apply a thin coat of Silicone Sealant (F7AZ-19554-EA) to the wheel hub mounting surfaces before installation. To install, reverse the removal procedure. Install NEW fasteners where necessary. Tighten all nuts and bolts to specification

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_414.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic2_196.jpg

Wheel Bearing Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear