2000 Ford Explorer won't idle

JUICEDROPS
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
Car will not run when it is cold, then runs fine later. Just won't idle up and run whn it is cold, once it starts runs fine- just had 2 o2 sensors put in, then 2 days later check engine lite came back on. Someone told me I needed a fuel pump- any suggestions
Monday, May 10th, 2010 AT 2:26 PM

Have you checked fuel pump pressure when it is cold? As far as the pump, I question it. Have you had the computer scanned since the light came back on? Is it the same code as before? If so, what code is it? Also, has anyone checked the temp sensor?

Let me know.

Monday, May 10th, 2010 AT 9:00 PM
JUICEDROPS
Dont believe it is same code, they told me my fuel pressure is running low and that the fuel pump would be the only answer. Would the temp sensor be on the codes? I know he told me it showed a misfire. And no I always have drove into the shop and then they scan, I need to leave overnight I guess and let them scan?
Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 AT 9:54 AM
Yes, it would be. It tells the computer how rich or lean to make the fuel mixture based on outside temp and coolant temp. However, if the fuel pressure is low, there is a good chance that is the problem.
Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 AT 10:29 AM
JUICEDROPS
How do I know for sure it is the fuel pump- they cost over $300 just for the part, I really don't have the money to be throwing around if it is just a chance it is that, w hat would you start with
Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 AT 11:52 AM
If you would like to check the fuel pump, here is a how to video and directions. You will need a gauge to check it, but most parts stores will lend or rent them to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Let me know if this helps or if you have other directions.

Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 AT 8:45 PM