2000 Ford Explorer bogging down

B9R
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
  • AWD
My explorer seems to bog down during acceleration, mainly on days when it's raining or when it's hot outside. Had this problem last year and replaced the spark plugs and wires which seemed to solve the problem, however a year later it is happening again. Any suggestions on what it could be?
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 9:10 AM

If it seems to happen when it's wet or really hot outside, it sounds like the ignition wires. WHen you got them, did they have a warranty?
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 4:05 PM
B9R
Not sure, I'd have to ask my husband. Today when I was accelerating to get on the highway, it was bogging and the check engine light started blinking.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 8:59 PM
Actually, the check engine light coming on is a good thing. Now the computer has a stored code which will idenetify where the problem is coming from. Take the car to a nationally recognized parts store and have them scan the computer for codes. Most stores will do it for free, so there is no money out of pocket.

Have that done and let me know what they find.
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 12:14 AM
B9R
Got the codes read. Cylinder #3 not firing, egr valve and vacuum leak. Don't know where cylinder 3 is or how to fix it, and can a hole in the exhaust be considered a vacuum leak?
+1
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 3:19 PM
No to the exhaust. THe egr is on the intake manifold and has a vacuum line running to it. That could be the both (vacuum / EGR) problems together. Many times with the engine running, you can hear a hissing noise where there is a leak. Give that a shot.

As far as the #3 cylender, you need to remove the spark plug and let me know how it looks. It may need replaced as well as the plug wire. Here is a picture to help locate it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_92722827_1.gif

Let me know if this helps.

+1
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 6:07 PM
B9R
So my husband looked at the car while it was dark out and saw that the spark plug #3 is sparking outside the wire. So the wire needs replaced. As far as the egr/vacuum leak, should we just replace the hose first because it would be cheaper and see if that solves that problem?
Wednesday, August 12th, 2009 AT 8:51 AM
That sounds like a good idea. THe vacuum hose is very cheap.
Wednesday, August 12th, 2009 AT 11:06 AM
B9R
So my husband replace the wires and now he sees it sparking in other places. Could that mean the coil pack is bad?
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 12:36 AM
Where is it sparking?
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 12:34 PM
B9R
It is sparking right where the wire plugs into the spark plug. But its running much better
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 1:38 PM
If it is sparking through the wire, it is bad and needs replaced. It will run even better when that is fixed.

LEt me know how it goes and if you have other questions. Also, if the wires are new, return that one and have them replace it.
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 11:39 PM
B9R
It is brand new wires. He replaced the whole set. Could it still be bad or could something else be causing it.
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 7:32 AM
B9R
My husband wanted to know if it could be because there isn't enough dielectric grease on it?
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 10:23 AM
No, that wouldn't cause it. You don't even need to use it. If the spark plug wire is arcing to a steel component, the wire is bad and it will cause a miss.
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 8:55 PM