Will not accelerate

SHAW4NOV
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
Noises problem 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

truck will not accelerate while driving or while idling. There is a rattling nosie comeing from the bottom of the vehicle. Esp when the gas petal is mashed. I was thinking that this was the catalystic converter but would tha affect the vehicle not being able to accelerate? It goes in gear and everything jus cant get it to barly drive 10mph
Sunday, October 31st, 2010 AT 3:33 PM

Hi shaw4nov, Welcome to 2carpros

Yep you hit it I was going to say catalytic converter here is a guide to confirm the issue.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-catalytic-converter

Please run this test and get back to us.

Cheers

Sunday, October 31st, 2010 AT 5:04 PM
SHAW4NOV
Yep we were right I did the test in the guide and then took it to have the cats replaced it cost me $550.00 but the truck works great again.
Monday, November 1st, 2010 AT 5:14 PM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
When driving my Explorer, I have a noise from the left front that sounds like loud tire noise that begins when I turn the steering wheel to the right. The more I turn it, the louder the noise. However, when I turn the steering wheel to the left there is absolutely no sound. If I take my hands off the steering wheel, the truck does not pull to the right or left, it stay straight. There appears not to be any unusual ware of the front tires.

I jacked up the front end and attempted to wiggle the tire/wheel assembly... There is some minor movement of the tire/wheel and support components side to side... But not from top to bottom.
Monday, April 2nd, 2018 AT 11:38 AM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Hub bearing is failing. Have someone drive it to confirm.