1999 Ford Explorer housing unit for water pump

YEYI6
  • 1999 FORD EXPLORER

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 164000 miles

My car starter overheating 4 days ago. When I checked the radiator we noticed it hardly had any coolant so we refilled it. I had a friend who is a mechanic look at it and he said that it llooked like it was the system behind the water pump. A nother mechanic(the one that is going to do the actual work) told me that the part typically costs $500 at the dealership. He said its a plastic part that houses the water pump. As I am waiting to fix my car he said I could drive the car just check the coolant everyday. Well, when I went to drive my car it started to shake really bad at idle and worse as I tried to back up. It felt like it wanted to turn off when I pressed on the gas. Is the leak also causing the shaking? And is there such a thing as the housing unit for the water pump? I would really appreciate a prompt response I am scheduled to speak to the meachaninc this weekend (in 2 days).
Thank You
Veronica

Thursday, May 13th, 2010 AT 11:08 PM

There is a water pump housing, but I have yet to see one go bad. What is he saying is wrong with the houising? I would also question if it is just the water pump leaking. That would make more sense to me.

Monday, May 17th, 2010 AT 8:05 AM