Water pump replacement

BUDDY007
  • 2001 FORD EXPLORER
How to replace a water pump on a 2001 ford explorer sport 4.0 sohc v6 engine
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 4:01 AM

Here is a video of the job being done

https://youtu.be/3-qGNg5qeEw

From the manual with diagrams below

Water Pump

Removal and Installation

1.Drain the engine cooling system.
2.Remove the accessory drive belt.

3.Remove the belt idler pulley.

4.Slide the water bypass hose clamp back.

5.Disconnect the heater hose at the water pump.
1 Release the clamp.
2 Remove the hose.

6.Disconnect the lower radiator hose at the water pump.
1 Release the clamp.
2 Remove the hose.

7.Remove the water pump pulley.

8.Remove the water pump.
9.NOTE: Use metal surface cleaner and a suitable plastic or wooden scraper to clean the sealing surfaces.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

+2
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 5:23 AM
GJOE
  • 2001 FORD EXPLORER
My 4.0 explorer is over heating. A shop replaced the water pump and thermostat. Still overheating. Cap and both hoses are cold. Fan is working, heater blower is working. Water in radiator is not hot.
Tuesday, October 9th, 2018 AT 6:50 PM (Merged)
RANDICO
Something is plugging it, if both hose of the cooling system is cold to touch something going on with the water pump. Or something is plugging the cooling system, when you feel the radiator hose make a comparison to it with the heater hoses
GJOE
The heater hoses are warm. The radiator hoses are both cold.
RANDICO
The waterpump flow has to be tested, another easier way is remove the thermostat, and if it overheats quickly, and both radiator hose are cold to touch, you have a blockage in the hoses or the waterpump has issues
+1
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2001 FORD EXPLORER
How to replace a water pump on 2001 Ford Explorer?
This is an involved process but straight forward. However, I recommend you get a good repair manual with step by step instructions and pictures to help identify parts. For me to try and explain it via the Internet allows too much room for error.
-1
DEBID12
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
Just changed my water pump and it's running no leaking.
Went to check my oil and it's milkly like water got in it?
Where could I have gone wrong?
If you're finding a cream-colored goo under the oil fill cap? That is typically condensation from many short trips. The moisture comes in through the PCV system and doesn't get warm enough to vaporize and burn off. I get that at times on my '88 Grand Caravan after making numerous ten-mile trips to town, but not when regularly making a 30-mile trip once a week.
DEBID12
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
I changed my water pump last week. I had a lose hose and I needed to tighten up. I did that! Now i'm finding a little water in my oil! It's now milkly! Where do you think I went wrong? Can you help me?
Are you finding a cream-colored goo under the oil fill cap? That is typically condensation from many short trips. The moisture comes in through the PCV system and doesn't get warm enough to vaporize and burn off.
KELLYTRIGGS
  • 1993 FORD EXPLORER
Is there a web site or can you give me directions (hopefully with pictures) for removing and installing a water pump on my 1993 ford explorer 6 cylinder 4 wheel drive?
DAVE H
Here is a video that will show you

https://youtu.be/3-qGNg5qeEw

WATER PUMP
Removal
Remove negative battery cable. Drain cooling system. Disconnect lower radiator hose and heater return hose from water pump. Using Fan Clutch Pulley Holder (T84T-6312-C) and Fan Clutch Nut Wrench (T84T-6312-D), remove radiator fan and clutch assembly. See Fig. 9 .
CAUTION:Fan clutch nut has left-hand threads. Remove nut by turning it clockwise as viewed from front of engine.

Remove alternator drive belt. If equipped with A/C, remove alternator and bracket. Remove water pump pulley. Remove water pump bolts, and remove pump. Remove gasket.
Installation
Clean all gasket surfaces. Apply sealer to both sides of NEW gasket, and position gasket on water pump. Install water pump. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Fill and bleed cooling system. See COOLING SYSTEM BLEEDING .
Fig. 9: Removing Fan Clutch
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_water_1.jpg

+2
GIACOMO1993
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
1997 Ford Explorer V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

cant figure out how to get the fan off the water pump
DAVE H
There are no special instructions listed for removing the blade?

WATER PUMP
Removal (Bronco, Explorer, Mountaineer & Pickup)
Drain cooling system. Remove accessory drive belt. Remove upper radiator hose. Remove fan blade, fan clutch and fan shroud. Disconnect lower radiator hose, heater hose and water by-pass tube from water pump. Remove A/C and power steering bracket bolts and position aside. Remove water pump retaining bolts. Remove water pump and gasket.
-1
JGAROFALO
The fan clutch is threaded onto the water pump shaft. This is a LEFT-HANDED thread. Ford has special tools for removing the fan from the pump, but you can remove it another way. It is much easier with a helper.

Use a large wrench - an adjustable will usually work if it is not too thick. Fit the wrench to the large hex on the rear of the fan clutch. Have a helper wedge a long screwdriver between two of the bolts holding the pulley to the water pump. Tap the end of the wrench in a clockwise direction with a medium sized hammer. After a few tries, it should break loose, and then can be turned off by hand along with the fan.

Alternatively, you can do this with the belt installed to keep the pulley still, but some of the time, the belt just slips, and makes it difficult to break loose.

Hope this isn't too late, and is of some help.
+3
MARCHAM
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
  • 200 MILES
I had a slight leak in my water pump so I took it to a friend they took all my parts off but then a bolt broke so I had to take it to the shop now they say they replaced the water pump but now it wont start.
What bolt broke, are you getting spark and fuel to the engine?
MARCHAM
The stud broke but they extracted it put everything back together and now says it wont start.
Ask them if it is getting both spark and fuel to the engine. One will be missing.