OIL PAN GASKET

1997 Ford Explorer

B. Taylor

October, 19, 2008 AT 8:44 PM

1997 Ford Explorer V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

I have been doing a little research on the internet and am failing to understand all the apparent issues.

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 that I keep as a work truck. The last year, I have developed a small leak around the oil pan which is beginning to ruin my new driveway. I had planned to replace the oil pan gasket myself.

However, in reading some of the available information, it appears the common perception is that I would need to raise the motor to do so.

In taking a quick look underneath, I don't see anything from preventing me dropping the pan once I remove all the bolts.

What am I missing?

obxautomedic

October, 19, 2008 AT 9:20 PM

What you are not understanding is the Pickup Tube, which goes down into the lower part of the oil pan and unless you raise the engine up the front of the oil pan will not clear the tube.

B. Taylor

October, 20, 2008 AT 8:58 AM

I'll take a better look with the truck on a rack.

obxautomedic

October, 20, 2008 AT 5:14 PM

Here is a cross section.... If you look.... when you attempt to pull the pan out the Screen will hit the side of the pan as it curves up to to shorter section...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_97exploderoilpump_1.jpg

Aslo here is what the manufacturer recommends....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_97exploreroilpanremove_1.jpg

B. Taylor

October, 20, 2008 AT 5:38 PM

Though it's been a pretty good truck without any major problems, I don't think it's worth pulling the engine. What kind of a design would require someone to pull the engine to change the oil pan gasket? What a joke. No wonder Ford is about two steps from going under.

I appreciate the help. You've provided a better explanation than the Ford mechanic here in town. I see what you're talking about now.

Best wishes and thanks,

B.T.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW