FRONT CALIPERS

1996 Ford Explorer

kpanasy

August, 13, 2008 AT 7:31 PM

Brakes problem
1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

I would like to replace my front left side caliper. Is it hard to disconnect the brake line from the caliper? Any tips or some picture or diagram on how to remove the brake line.

Thank you,

Kit

geharbison

August, 13, 2008 AT 7:48 PM

Firstly, you should replace both calipers, its always wise to replace both left and right side parts when working with brakes. As far as changing the calipers, it isn't hard. There are two main parts with the calipers, there is the frame, which is bolted to the spindle assembly, and then there is the caliper, which is bolted to the frame. Take the banjo bolt out of the caliper and pull the brake hose off. (Your brakes will no longer work). Take the bolts holding the frame to spindle off. I'm not sure whether or not the new caliper kit will come with a new frame or not, but if it does not, then unbolt the caliper from the frame and replace it with the new one, (and new pads), and then bolt the frame back to the spindle. I would recommend to replace all four bolts with new ones and use locktite on all of them. I didn't and one day my caliper just fell off and nearly locked up my wheel. Then bolt your banjo bolt and it's New washer and the hose back to the caliper, bleed the brakes, and your ready to go.

Replace Your Brake Caliper Like a Pro
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front