1995 Ford Explorer some times it will not start

CRANKBAIT
  • 1995 FORD EXPLORER
1995 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 144K miles

Sometimes after turning the engine off it will not start right away.
There is plenty of spark and cranks over fine. If I crank it over several times and it still will not start I let it set for a while ( sometimes a few minutes sometimes longer ) eventually it starts right up like nothing ever happened.
This only seems to happen once or twice every other day or about 1 time out of every 20 or 30 start ups.

It doesn't seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold, it can happen early in the morning or anytime while traveling. The first time it happened was first start up in the morning, it started fine, I drove about a mile and a half and turned it off. I came back out about 1 hour later and it would not start.
I turned it over several times and the let it set for about 30 minutes. I tried again and it fired right up just like nothing ever happened. No sputter no nothing.

Later that evening after driving it, starting and stopping many times during the day without a problem, it again would not start. After sitting for a short time maybe 3 or 4 minutes it started right up again.

PS
If you can help me solve the problem I will give you a larger donation. No one I have talked to seems to be able to help. THANKS !

I appreciate your help,
Thanks,
Darryl Lawson
1-775-217-1461 Cell
1-775-423-3936 Home
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 10:13 PM

RACEFAN966
Ok you say it has spark but have you checked to see if spark is present when you are having the starting problems? Next time it won't start I would like you to have a philips screw driver handy and pull a spark plug wire off of a spark plug and put the screw driver in the end of it and put near metal (like the valve cover) then crank it and see if there is spark. Now I would like to know what has been done thus far? What all has been replaced and is the check engine light on? Get back to me and we will go from there.
Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 11:59 AM
CRANKBAIT
I checked for spark the very first time. Right after it would not start. There was fire at that time.
I put in a spare plug and grounded it to the engine There was very strong spark.

Other than wiggling relays and checking for bad connections I have not changed anything.

The local mechanic said it has to be broke down to show up on the error code.?
Nothing has been done other than that.
Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 4:56 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok have you checked the fuel pressure when it dies to see if there is fuel? If not get a can of throttle body cleaner and next time it won't start spray some into the throttle and see it starts. If it starts and dies then we will check for fuel pump or fuel pump relay or injection problems ok.
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 11:45 AM
CRANKBAIT
Ok I will try that and get back to you. I have been driving it for a couple of days now with no problems.
Thanks Alot
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 11:54 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok that will work. Let me know what you find and we will go from there.
Thursday, May 27th, 2010 AT 12:06 PM