1998 FORD EXPEDITION STARTER OR SOLENOID PROBLEM

• jag925
  • 1998 Ford Expedition

1998 Ford Expedition V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

My vehicle will not start. The battery and alternator were both replaced about 3 months ago. When I turn the key all dash lights, radio, etc. Come on and as I keep turning the key I hear one click and then nothing happens. I removed the battery cables and cleaned the terminals. Also, checked all the wires that lead to the starter. Tapped on the starter with a hammer and still nothing. I drove the car about a half hour before with no problems. When I went to leave again it wouldnt start. Any idea what it could be?

Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 12:43 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Hi:
What you need to do is check for power to the starter. Have a helper turn the key to the run position while you check for voltage to the smaller of the two wires at the starter. You should get 12 volts. Let me know what you find. Also, you may want to check the starter relay. Swap it with another relay with the same part number to see if that makes a difference. I believe you will find it under the hood in a power distribution center. The lid should be labled with what each component does.

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 4:12 PM
  • jag925

Thanks for the info. I replaced the relay fuse, but that didn't work. So we went ahead and removed the starter and took it to the auto parts store for testing. Sure enough it was not spinning. So, $135 later and the car is working. Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 4:33 PM