1998 Ford Expedition Door Lock Actuators

MITCHRHODES
  • 1998 FORD EXPEDITION
I recently took my Ford Explorer in to be checked due to a fuse that was continually blowing when I used the automatic door locks. The service shop told me that the fuse if blowing because of bad door lock actuators and they are pullijng a highier amperage than the fuse can take in oder for them to operate. I am able to use the locks one or two times after I replace the 30 AMP fuse each time before it blows. The mechanic said that all 5 actuators needed to be replaced. Is it possible that only one of them need be replaced and is there a way I can check to see if any one of them is bad. (Ie. A fairly uncomplicated method to unhook each door lock from the electical circuit one at a time to see if this works.) I figured I would start with the back door lock first but wanted to get your advice. Thanks you for the website and your time!
Tuesday, January 1st, 2008 AT 3:00 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

thank you for your donation.

This can be done, but it is a tricky operation, because the amp draw is such a short duration, you may not get an accurate visual reading using a conventional amp meter. You will need one that holds peak current draw. To get a true reading you would need to get as close to the actuator as possible, but tapping in line will be a pain, You will get a fair indication if you connect an amp meter between the battery Pos(+) and the battery cable, operate the lock and watch for peak current draw, if one spikes higher, there is a starting point, but a meter which holds peak drain memory will be a great advantage.

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2008 AT 9:36 AM

Sponsored links