Ford Escort AC

DRPR1
  • FORD ESCORT
I have a '98 Escort 2.0 with 89,000
I was told a bad compressor burned up the CCRM. $1400 for shop repair is more than the car is worth.

1) What tips do you have to replace the compressor myself
2) I have read elswhere that I can drill open the CCRM and replace a relay to fix rather than spend $200 on a new one. Any thoughts on that?
3) What else does the CCRM control? Can I take it out and work on it at my leisure or is it imparative for other car funcitons?
Tuesday, April 24th, 2007 AT 9:05 PM

DRPR1
Thanks for the reply. The AC was totally inop. Compressor would not turn on. The shop tested pressure and relays, all were fine. Refrigerant was fine. They replaced the CCRM and the compressor started up but shook violently. They said the compressor was bad. And shorted out the CCRM. Both would need to be replaced. Everything else works fine on the car.
Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 8:43 PM
DRPR1
HELLO! I believe your repair shop leaves alot to be desired. Simple check. Eng off. Reach down to your compressor face and turn the outer disc several revolutions. Does it turn fairly easily? YES IT DOES. Is this disc centered on the pulley behind it? YES. Do you hear any scraping noises from this area with eng at idle and a/c off? NO did you actually see this violent shaking? YES. Has somebody added freon to the system? NOT THAT I AM AWARE OF> THEY SAID THEY CHECKED THE PRESSURE AND IT WAS FINE. Please print this out in order to answer each question without skipping over ANY or hold your car up to your computer so that I can see and hear it. We are hot on the trail now. I TRIED TO LIFT THE CAR UP TO THE COMPUTER BUT IT WAS TOO BIG TO GET THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR. LOL THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. AND YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR.
Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 11:31 PM
DRPR1
Yes. The AC has been working just fine. It just stopped working one day. One day it worked. The next it didn't. My daughter was driving it at the time and didn't notice anything dramatic that happened. But that wouldn't be unusual.
Friday, April 27th, 2007 AT 10:55 PM
DRPR1
Sounds like a plan!

Since I am going to shell out another $25 to have the system checked I gather you are confident that the original diagnosis is not accurate and I can save some cash by investing in another diagnosis.

Am I reading you right?
Saturday, April 28th, 2007 AT 8:02 PM
DRPR1
Gotcha!

I will be out of town next week so I will get this taken care of the week after. Thanks for being there!
Sunday, April 29th, 2007 AT 6:57 PM
DRPR1
Excellent. Thanks.

What tips do you have for replacing the compressor. If that does need to happen. I have replaced alternators, starters, radiators, etc. But haven't worked on AC systems. Do you have a step by step process? Anything to be aware of with refrigerant? What kinds of connections do AC lines to the compressor employ?

Thanks! You have been very helpful!
Monday, April 30th, 2007 AT 9:44 AM
DRPR1
Well, I am heading out early tommorrow morning and since I wanted to know a bit more about AC repair I thought you could help. Good reading on a plane. Sorry to be a bother.
Monday, April 30th, 2007 AT 11:18 PM
DRPR1
Hi!

I am back! I hope you are still around!

I got back from the shop. Hey hooked up the gauges, bypassed the CCRM and attempted to charge the system for a reading. The refrigerant was leaking rapidly through the front seal on the compressor so they were not able to get any readings.

So, the compressor obviously needs to be replaced.

Could you please send me some step by step instructions as to how to proceed to replace the compressor. I guess that will be our first step and then you can take me throgh a diagnosis of the rest of the system for next steps.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Friday, May 11th, 2007 AT 6:48 PM
DRPR1
Oh, sorry. I thought that was one of those rhetorical questions that only became relevent if there was body damage.

What specific manual do you reccomend?
Saturday, May 12th, 2007 AT 10:45 AM