COOLING FAN

Ford Escort

niuges16

May, 8, 2007 AT 8:04 AM

I have a 1996 Ford Escort, 1.9l engine. NO A/C. Once the car is started the cooling fan comes on and stays on constantly until the engine is shut off. It does not come on when the key is turned on, only after the car is started. The engine is not overheating and runs within specs. The fan that is running constant, is the high side fan. I have quickly checked the relays and wiring (for corrosion) and can't find anything wrong at this time. I have noticed other Fords do the same thing. Could I have a faulty relay or is there something wrong with the ground system going through the computer?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

merlin2021

May, 8, 2007 AT 9:04 AM

Does the fan cicuit hook into a temp sensor? Or fan control sensor?

niuges16

May, 8, 2007 AT 9:08 AM

Havbe no idea as I haven't looked at a schematic.

merlin2021

May, 8, 2007 AT 9:12 AM

Most do! Even if the signal goes to the PCM. Try changing it.

niuges16

May, 8, 2007 AT 9:14 AM

I think I will just hook up a remote switch as oppose to spending $$$$ on a computer. I did this with my monte carlo and had no problems.

merlin2021

May, 8, 2007 AT 9:23 AM

Ok I did not realize you wanted to hack it!

niuges16

May, 8, 2007 AT 12:31 PM

No hacking, doing what the dealer would do

merlin2021

May, 8, 2007 AT 1:07 PM

I have NEVER seen a dealer install a switch to control a cooling fan. Then leave it in the hands of the driver to activate it. If customer forgets to turn it on, who buys the new head?

niuges16

May, 8, 2007 AT 1:18 PM

A lot of the dealers here do this. They also just tie into the coolant sensor use it has a ground and that is what activates the fan.
You have to realise that when cars here in Ontario get high mileage and with the salt (rust) it is not worth spending $1000. Oo on parts when a quick and simple fix will work. It is easier to let the fan run constant.
What I am looking for is whether any other Ford owners have had this problem and what the fix was. I can not afford to try this and that until we find the problem. I would rather diagnose a problem then be a parts changer until the problem is cured.