COOLING FAN

• niuges16
  • Ford Escort

I have a 1996 Ford Escort, 1.9l engine. NO A/C. Once the car is started the cooling fan comes on and stays on constantly until the engine is shut off. It does not come on when the key is turned on, only after the car is started. The engine is not overheating and runs within specs. The fan that is running constant, is the high side fan. I have quickly checked the relays and wiring (for corrosion) and can't find anything wrong at this time. I have noticed other Fords do the same thing. Could I have a faulty relay or is there something wrong with the ground system going through the computer?

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 AT 8:04 AM

• merlin2021

Does the fan cicuit hook into a temp sensor? Or fan control sensor?

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 AT 9:04 AM
  • niuges16

Havbe no idea as I haven't looked at a schematic.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 AT 9:08 AM
  • merlin2021

Most do! Even if the signal goes to the PCM. Try changing it.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 AT 9:12 AM
  • niuges16

I think I will just hook up a remote switch as oppose to spending $$$$ on a computer. I did this with my monte carlo and had no problems.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 AT 9:14 AM
  • merlin2021

Ok I did not realize you wanted to hack it!

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 AT 9:23 AM
  • niuges16

No hacking, doing what the dealer would do

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 AT 12:31 PM
  • merlin2021

I have NEVER seen a dealer install a switch to control a cooling fan. Then leave it in the hands of the driver to activate it. If customer forgets to turn it on, who buys the new head?

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 AT 1:07 PM
  • niuges16

A lot of the dealers here do this. They also just tie into the coolant sensor use it has a ground and that is what activates the fan.
You have to realise that when cars here in Ontario get high mileage and with the salt (rust) it is not worth spending $1000. Oo on parts when a quick and simple fix will work. It is easier to let the fan run constant.
What I am looking for is whether any other Ford owners have had this problem and what the fix was. I can not afford to try this and that until we find the problem. I would rather diagnose a problem then be a parts changer until the problem is cured.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 AT 1:18 PM