98 - BATTERY/ALTERNATOR CHANGED, WEAK IDLE/STALLS

1998 Ford Escort

jeremyscott

July, 16, 2006 AT 11:42 AM

I replaced the alternator and put in a new battery in my 98 ford escort (130k miles). According to the owners manual, when changing a battery your car could lose its 'idle'. So I did what it said, and it has been about 3-5 driving sessions since I did that, and it still runs a little weak. It has stalled a couple times and will sometimes stutter when accelerating. Also the " Service Engine Soon" light came on.
Any ideas?

Dies On Idle

jeremyscott

July, 25, 2006 AT 8:35 AM

Ok, the final verdict is: The Check engine light was coming on because of an incomplete ODB test the computer would run. The old battery must have been compensating for this which is why it didn't show up until I change it, and reset the computers code. I also had damaged spark plugs and spark plug wires that were not getting the full amount of energy sent out, and that was causing the stuttering on acceleration. A couple expensive code scans later and a 'major' tune fixed the problem.

TaurusWheel

July, 25, 2006 AT 5:49 PM

Glad to hear it, maybe consider buying yourself an obdII scan tool, for a 100 bucks or so, even less, you can get a decent tool, check those light issues yourself, one trip to the garage would pay for it.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement