NOTE: Parking brake is self-adjusting on Contour and Mystique. To adjust, operate parking brake several times.
1. Count number of notches it takes to fully apply parking brake lever. If parking brake is fully applied, 5-7 notches, parking brake adjustment is okay. If parking brake requires adjustment, go to next step.
2. Parking brake cable is adjusted at parking brake lever. Remove center console. Ensure parking brake is fully released. Tighten adjusting nut at parking brake lever until adjustment is within specification. Install center console. Check parking brake operation.
REAR BRAKE SHOES
1. This adjustment should be made only after replacing brake lining or if brake applications are insufficient to actuate automatic adjuster. Raise and support vehicle. Remove wheels.
2. Remove brake drum. Using a brake drum diameter gauge, determine brake drum diameter and proper shoe diameter. Hold automatic adjusting lever out of engagement. Using a screwdriver, rotate knurled quadrant on adjuster assembly to adjust brake shoes.
3. Adjust brake shoes to fit gauge. Rotate gauge around shoe to ensure proper fit. Install brake drum. Install wheels. Check brake operation by making several stops at varying forward speeds.
Wednesday, August 13th, 2008 AT 5:19 PM