1998 Ford Escort Car broke down

• 1 POST
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT

1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 151, 00 miles

While going to pick up my son today, my car broke down on the side of the road. The last few months it had been rough idling some times when the car would first start. I would have to give it some gas and after a couple minutes it worked itself out. It did that while driving down the road today but then I heard a sound like a belt had broke and was flopping around. My power steering and brakes went out and the service engine soon light came on. I first checked the serpentine belt since I had replaced it a year ago and it was fine. After having it towed to a friends house we checked to make sure there was a spark with the spark plugs, there was. We checked for compression (spark plugs) and all but 1 were fine. Nothing was bent in the top engine part. The timing belt seems in tact, but it is hard to tell because of the way the engine sits. There is plenty of oil, however the coolant resivour was empty, but my car was not smoking at all and the gauge was reading right in the middle. Any other ideas on what could be the problem? My father-in-law seems to think it still has something to do with the timing belt being off? Anyone have a suggestion of how to get to it? Thanks!

Monday, October 6th, 2008 AT 7:41 PM

From what you describe it does sound like the timing belt broke. And to get to it you will have to take the front of the motor apart. Check out the link to get an idea of what is involved.....

Monday, October 6th, 2008 AT 8:16 PM