1997 Ford Escort SPEEDOMETER/CRUISE

JRC52577
  • 1997 FORD ESCORT
My speedometer has been acting erratically for about 6 months now. It started by jumping around occasionally at speeds above 40 mph but the speed indicator remained pretty close to accurate. Lately, it has been jumping around at all speeds and is basically worthless. When the problem really started getting bad, the cruise also quit working and I started experiencing minor shifting problems. More than one person told me I needed to replace my speed sensor. That has now been done with no effect on any of my problems. Having learned to judge my speed pretty well by using the Tach, I could live without the speedometer but the cruise is a must. One note about the cruise. When it was working, it would disengage any time I hit the slightest bump in the road and had started to become a major nuisance. Any suggestions on how to fix either of these these issues?
Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 1:39 PM

BMRFIXIT
Fixing the speedometer should take care and fix the cruise control as it depend on the speed signal to work

best and 1st that should be done is to have it scanned for codes
most common is the speed sensor on the transmission
and since it was replaced have to be checking for codes
as it should indicate to the troubled area
check rear of cluster wire plug and sensor connector plug
Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 3:12 PM