1996 Ford Escort timing belt replacement

WIKIDSQUAW
  • 1996 FORD ESCORT
Driving down the interstate I lost my timing belt. Second one in two years. I need a diagram to replace it myself. Can anyone help me? I have heard that it is simple and dot to dot.
Friday, April 10th, 2009 AT 2:48 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
REMOVAL:
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the accessory drive belt automatic tensioner and the accessory drive belt.
Remove the timing belt cover.
Align the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket with the timing mark on the cylinder head.
Confirm that the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket is aligned with the timing mark on the oil pump housing.
Loosen the belt tensioner attaching bolt, pry the tensioner away from the timing belt and retighten the bolt.
Remove the spark plugs.
Remove the right-hand engine mount.
Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Remove the right side splash shield.
Remove the crankshaft pulley.
Remove the timing belt.

With the timing belt removed and the No. 1 piston at TDC, do not rotate the camshaft.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_1_36.jpg

INSTALLATION:
Do not mix1/2round and trapezoidal belt tooth profiles, this would cause premature belt wear. Also no belt dressing or oil should be used on the belt.

Install the timing belt over the sprockets in a counterclockwise direction starting at the crankshaft. Keep the belt span from the crankshaft to the camshaft tight while positioning the belt over the remaining sprockets.
Loosen the belt tensioner attaching bolt, then allow the tensioner to snap against the belt.
Rotate the crankshaft clockwise two complete revolutions (720 degrees) stopping at TDC. This will allow the tensioner spring to properly load the timing belt.

Do not turn the engine counterclockwise to align the timing marks.

Tighten the tensioner attaching bolt to 17-22 ft. lbs. (23-30 Nm).
Install the crankshaft dampener and the bolt and washer. Tighten the bolt to 81-96 ft. lbs. (110-130 Nm).
Install the right-hand engine mount.
Install the splash shield and lower the vehicle.
Install the spark plugs.
Install the timing belt cover.
Install the accessory drive belt automatic tensioner and the accessory drive belt.
Connect the negative battery cable.

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!
+1
Friday, April 10th, 2009 AT 3:03 PM