1996 FORD ESCORT... ENGINE SOUNDS FINE WHEN IDLING... BUT...

• guitarmonkeys04
  • 1996 Ford Escort

1996 Ford Escort. 120,000 miles. The service engine soon light is on. The car starts right up and sounds fine when idling, and when you rev the engine it sounds fine, but when the rpm's are going back down, it makes a loud and fast popping/cracking noise. It has been like this for a while and it sounds like it is coming from the engine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Tuesday, May 9th, 2006 AT 5:58 PM

• losone

Hummm, I can't tell exactly without more info like check engine light? You make have stripped a tooth from the timing belt--maybe?

Tuesday, May 9th, 2006 AT 6:01 PM
  • guitarmonkeys04

Well, the check engine light isnt on, but the service engine soon light is on.

Tuesday, May 9th, 2006 AT 6:04 PM
  • losone

Same thing get the codes read by a mechanic with a scanner. Let me know

Tuesday, May 9th, 2006 AT 6:08 PM
  • guitarmonkeys04

Alright, thanks

Tuesday, May 9th, 2006 AT 6:10 PM
  • Witness7

Could be any number of sensors gone bad such as throttle sensor. Or idle control sensor. I recommend taking it to a autozone store near you hopefully you have one at your location they do a free computer test on car's that can diagnose where the problem is. And since that light is coming on that means your computer has registered the problem so when they check it they can tell you exactly what the problem is and this is a free service that autozone does for folks.

Thursday, May 11th, 2006 AT 8:56 PM