VAN..DOES NOT START!

1994 Ford Escort

goldust00

1994 Ford Escort Manual

I have an L reg ford escort van which has been quite unreliable recently. It kept not starting so I bought a new battery but that has not done anything. It now does not turn over when I start it. I have bought a new starter moter, relay fuse, alternator and glow plugs but it is still the same. Have you any suggestions as to what the problem could be? Thanks

Dave H

Is it turning over and not firing up or not turning/cranking at all? If it's cranking. Check fuel pressure. Fuel pump and fuel filter.

goldust00

January, 9, 2009 AT 7:35 AM

It is not cranking at all. When you turn the key it doesnt turn over at all only the glow plug relay clicks.

Dave H

January, 9, 2009 AT 8:20 AM

Are you sure it's the glow plug relay and not the starter relay? Firstly. Check battery voltage. Put a voltmeter over battery terminals. You should get a reading of at least 12.5 volts this is a diesel engine it will need at least 12.5 just to crank it, if not, charge battery. Try jump starting off another vehicle? If you hook up another vehicle to it running and it still won't crank, check all wiring from battery to starter motor. And all battery and starter earth/ground points (earth/ground to chassis and to engine block). They must be clean with a good connection. Check oil level is not overfull or too thick and get a wrench/spanner on crank pulley nut and try cranking by hand to make sure the engine is not locked up? Let me know

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe