TORQUE CONVERTER PROBLEM?

2006 Ford Escape

cjh

June, 13, 2009 AT 8:14 PM

2006 Ford Escape 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

As my wife was coming off the interstate and approaching a stop light at the end of the ramp, the car starting jerking and upon stopping the car shut off. She was able to put the car in park and re-start the engine. If she put it in D, R, 2, or 1 the car would shut off. If put in Neutral, the car would run with no problems. When I got to it I noticed if I feathered the gas as I put the transmission in gear the car would take off and drive properly until I came to a stop. When I stop the car acts as if I am not pushing a clutch on a standard transmission and chokes down. Could the torque converter be the problem and if so, about how much would it cost for repair?

Torque Converter Leak

1 IMAGE

Leaks Fluid

escapeartist54

April, 24, 2012 AT 4:35 PM

If you have extended warranty, you'll be fine. If not, sit down with a stiff drink. I had the exact same symptoms and was told it was the torque converter. I have the extended warranty, which also provided me with a rental. So when, after three working days, I picked up my 2006 Escape, and heard the cost of the repair, I was sooo glad I was covered. I don't know if you are in the States or in Canada and if that would make any difference, but, are you sitting, the final bill would have been between CDN $5200.00 to $5400.00. All the best to you.

Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement