2001 Ford Escape Escape Loss of Power, Acceleration and BR

JPERCOPO
  • 2001 FORD ESCAPE
2001 Ford Escape 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help. I am in a bit of an emergency, and not sure what to do.

Whenever it rains, the escape runs very bad. It sputters, stalls while idling, sometimes loses power, etc. THe check engine light will either flash or come on, usually fixing itself if you shut it off and turn it back on. When it is dry, it runs fine, even great!

Two days ago, it rained, and while I was driving, I lost all power. I could not get it to go over 25MPH, and it would not go over 2000RPM's no matter how much I floored it. It would sometimes whistle while I pushed the gas. While I was creeping my way back home, all of a sudden the brakes locked up, like what happens when it stalls, but it didn't stall.

I've read that it could be water leaking into the intake, and I took it apart, and didn't feel any moisture in there at all, and the filter is clean. I also read that it could be leaking onto the module, but not sure where or what that is. It started all day yesterday and last night, but wouldn't run. THis morning (it is cold out) it won't start at all.

I have no way of getting it to a garage to hook up to the computer.

Pleasee tell me it is something that I can fix!

ALso, not sure if it is related, but the seatbelt, ABS, break, and airbag lights come on whenver they want.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to make sure that I told everything. If you need any info, let me know, as I am very desperate, and can't afford to take it to a garage to be fixed, or even tow it there! THanks a bunch!

PS: I took off the kick plates and rug, and it IS damp, so water is getting in (to the air intake?) So how do I fix that? I don't have an air compressor to blow it out. Hair drier? Please help!
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 11:49 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi JPercopo,

thank you for the donation.

Seems water is getting to some electrical control units interrupting their performance. Use a sponge to dry out excessive water and get some newspaper under the rugs, and carpet to help to dry out the carpets. A hair dry deos not help much becaue it would take a long tinme for you to dry out the damp carpet.

You need to locate the leakage source and rectify it.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 11:41 AM
JPERCOPO
So it does sound like moisture is getting in and causing it to loose power? That is what I thought, but the rugs weren't wet that I could find. I finally got the module on top of the intake off, and I'm going to keep it in the house overnight to let it dry out, it's been wet out for a while now, so hopefully I'll have some luck when I put it in tomorrow. I had someone look at it and they said it was the timing belt which I don't believe at all. He told me he would fix it for me for $800! He said it was just a coincidence that it only happened when it rained. I'll never talk to him again! It is so hard for a girl to get her car fixed with everyone trying to pull a fast one.
There wasn't enough power to run the computer scan on it. Thank you again for your help! A girl really needs someone honest when it comes to cars! If I didn't know anything, I'd probably end up with a new engine! (Gotta thank my dad for forcing me into the garage growing up!)
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 3:26 PM
KHLOW2008
It definitely is not the timing belt.

You mentioned the carpet was wet so I thougth it could be water getting into the cabin to affect control modules but after additional research, I believe the crankshaft position sensor is the more likely cause. It could malfunction if water or dirt is getting between it and the reluctor. Check the wiring connections of the crankshaft position and Camshaft sensors. Note if there are any oxidations or contaminations at the connectors.
-1
Thursday, November 11th, 2010 AT 6:21 AM