NO VOLTAGE TO FUEL PUMPS

1990 Ford E-Series Van

ANJr

September, 10, 2009 AT 10:29 AM

1990 Ford E-Series Van V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150, 00 miles

1990 E250 cargo van, 302 c.I. Engine, dual fuel tanks.

Replaced alternator, regulator, fuel pump relay & removed defective " inertia fuel cutoff switch", connecting the 2 wires that ran to it. Removed high-pressure fuel pump & tested - it's good.

Van ran fine for a while, then quit as if it ran out of gas (both tanks over 1/2 full). Replaced fuel pump relay again, test from EEC self-test #6 to ground says it's working, but no voltage is getting to the pumps. Continuity test @ different places in the wiring says the wiring is OK - can't find anything else between the relay & the main fuel pump which would stop voltage from reaching the pump & going on back to the pumps in the tanks.

ANJr

September, 10, 2009 AT 4:49 PM

I'll answer my own question - bad EEC relay.

The schematic in a Haynes manual is poor as it doesn't cover the whole system or all the relays/switches in it, but further trial & error testing revealed the EEC relay had gone bad too & that was keeping power from going to the fuel pump, even though the fuel pump relay was good (new).

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang