1992 Ford Crown Victoria Idle Air Controller

LANCE43
  • 1992 FORD CROWN VICTORIA
My car was stalling at idle, in gear and in park. I have changed spark plugs and wires. It ran fine while driving the car. I replaced the IAC and now it idles for a bit then I hear a loud humming nosie the the idle rpms go way up. While driving the car and the humming starts the car seems to want to accelerate. I have to use more brake to stop. When it gets to below 20 or 30mph then the humming quits and the car stops easier.
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 4:36 PM

Hi lance43, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for donation

Do you have a check engine light?

Clean the mass airflow sensor with an electronic cleaner CRC and also test the throttle position sensor closed idle and wide open throttle voltages-let me know
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 5:13 PM
LANCE43
I cleaned the MAF with CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner.

I checked voltages with key on. I am attaching the pictures. No I don't have a Check Engine Light.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416038_TPS_Wide_Open_2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416038_TPS_Closed_2_1.jpg

Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 6:37 PM
You have a problem with the TPS it shouldn't have that voltage 4.98 volts should be below 1volt at closed throttle position and gradually increase as you smoothly rotate the throttle to that voltage 4.98 volts
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 6:44 PM
LANCE43
I know that the TPS should also have.8 to 1.0 Ohms and I only get.003 Ohms. I have the meter set to 2M for resitance is this correct setting for the multimeter?

Also are the probes in the correct position on the TPS plug? I have the black on ground and the red on VOL REF. But why would this happen when all I did was change the IAC valve?
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 6:58 PM
WAY2OLD
The reference wire is a 5 volt wire. You are reading the correct voltage. Move the red lead to the signal return wire and the black to a good engine ground and see it the voltages fall in range. Look at the IAC to be sure the gasket is not the fault and leaking air by it to the engine.
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 7:18 PM
LANCE43
I checked the voltage with the red probe on the TPS SIGNAL wire and black to ground. Moving the thottle the voltage went from.96V to 4.70V

I put gasket sealer on the valve before installing it. I can't tell if its leaking or not with the engine noise.

I have been told that if the IAC is humming that means it is bad, is this true?
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 7:37 PM
The TPS is good-Unplug the IACV if it quiets down -replace it-
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 7:47 PM
LANCE43
I unplugged the IAC and it doesn't hum anymore but it runs rough I had a hard time starting it. It would run rough then die. I hear a loud hissing from around the Throttle Body. I noticed on the air intake that the seal that attaches to the front of the TB is broke and is not making a good seal. So I removed it and it idled ok with the IAC unplugged. But I still hear the loud hissing, is this just the air being sucked into the Throttle Body?
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 8:38 PM
Could just be the air rushing into the throttle body. Did you clean out the IACV valve passages before you replace.
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 1:02 AM
LANCE43
No I did not clean them. What kind of cleaner would work, Carb Cleaner, MAF Cleaner?
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 9:09 AM
LANCE43
Ok I cleaned the passages with Carb Cleaner and reinstalled IAC still same problem. Running rough the high idle and humming.

Now I did notice that the large vaccum line coming from under the IAC has a lot of suction. When I plug it up car seems to run somehat normal and the noise goes away. After a few seconds the suction stops and I unplug it and runs ok. If I touch the trottle then it goes right back to humming.
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 12:03 PM
Now I did notice that the large vaccum line coming from under the IAC has a lot of suction. Is this vacuum hose leaking -

Unplug the valve if it's operating properly the engine will shut off. If there are vacuum leaks it will stay running and you can listen, find and fix them. A lot of the time if the idle seems high when you start, hit it with a hammer, if the idle drops the valve is sticking, probably has a cracked piston in the valve and needs to be replaced.
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 4:59 PM
WAY2OLD
Replace that hose. Ford should still have them. Those are commonly known as a "Hooter Tube"
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 6:58 PM
LANCE43
Ok I will try rasmataz's idea to see of that works.

If I still have a problem I will try way2old's idea.

Thank you guys so much for your help.
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 7:26 PM