98 SPARKPLUGS BURIED IN OIL

1998 Ford Contour

terion

March, 5, 2006 AT 2:47 PM

My 98 Ford Contour won't start. I had been having some problems with poor engine performance which I had assumed was just a dirty fuel system. I got some fuel system cleaner and added it to gas, but before that tank ran out the car stopped starting. I replaced the fuel filter but no luck. I recently had the plugs replaced so I checked them and they were literally buried in oil. Only about a half inch of the plug showed above the oil. What would cause this?

ryan20021982

March, 19, 2006 AT 11:51 AM

I had the exact same problem and ford said the intake gasket

peppermrj

March, 19, 2006 AT 3:44 PM

I think Ryan has his terms confused.I bet he means the valve cover/cam cover gasket. I do that with my daughters names all the time. : Oops: Most double overhead cam engines have the plugs in the middle of the valve cover. The valve cover leaks and oil fills up the plug wells. This causes misfires and the plug wires to deteriorate.

Replace the gasket pay particular attention to the round sections around the plug wells. You might consider replacing the plug wires. At the very least clean them using waterless hand cleaner, Goop, GoJo, etc.

Good luck and let us know. : )

Good luck and let us know.

peppermrj

March, 19, 2006 AT 4:04 PM

Forgot to mention, if you do it yourself soak up the oil befor you remove the plugs with cotton balls.

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang