2000 Ford Contour - 5 Speed

MAMABEAR0917
  • 2000 FORD CONTOUR
I have a 2000 Ford Contour with approx. 113,000 miles. It has been in and out of the mechanics and I have spent close to $800. My car bucks/hesistates whether going up hill or one a straight road. I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump. After that the check engine light came on. I took it back and he said the plug/sensor was corrided and not properly plugged in, he cleaned it and plugged it in properly. Once he cleaned the plug/sensor the check engine light went off, the next day it came back on. I was getting great gas mileage and figured it was a false reading. Today, the car is worse, it seems worse when it's a hot day, I can't use the A/C or the panel because when I do, the bucking/hestation gets worse. Any suggestions? Thank you
Friday, May 4th, 2007 AT 1:55 PM

INDYUKE
You may have a vacuum leak. The heater doors are controlled by a vacuum switch behind the panel. It is often extremely difficult to diagnose a vacuum leak. A smoke machine seems to work the best, and any good shop should have one.

When the codes were pulled from the car's ECM, did the mechanic say what codes they were? That will give you a hint as to what direction you'd need to go to diagnose. Let us know.
Sunday, July 15th, 2007 AT 8:28 PM
MAMABEAR0917
Thank you for replying to my question. I have been to see my mechanic every other week since I posted the original question. So far he has replaced, fuel pump & filter, 1 Oxygen sensor and the IMRC Unit. The check engine light is still on and the code keeps telling them its an O2 sensor. The car bucks and stalls when going uphill when the car has less than 1/2 a tank of gas. The radiator light also comes on now (looks like a little jar with an X through it with a lid) when the car starts bucking and stalling. Could that be because of the vacuum? Ford Contour, 117890, 2.5 liter DOHR, V6.
Monday, July 16th, 2007 AT 5:22 PM
SHELBYGT
Okay have a buddy look under your car and put the car in reverse and look at the motor mount and see if its doing something it shouldnt be doing, like bouncing or jumping when you put the ac on. Its underneath the car and the front one is bel;ow the engine they are rubber pieces that wear out and allows you car to shake then it gets worser but guess what if it is the promblem you cant buy it in a little auto store oh no baby you have to go to the dealer sip to buy that bad boy
Tuesday, July 17th, 2007 AT 11:36 PM
MAMABEAR0917
I made a donation and this is the reply I get. I had the car inspected and have spent over $900 in repairs. I know what a motor mount is and what one sounds like when its missing or broke. MOTOR MOUNTS are not the problem. My mechanic has not told me the #code that my check engine light is giving but he has told me its a bad o2 sensor. He replaced one of them and said I may need to replace the other, but I believe the gentleman that replied to my first question may have had something with the vacuum leak, my car buck and stalls with less than 1/2 a tank and gets worse as the tank gets emptier. And now I have noticed as its bucking up the hill, the radiator light comes on, but it was flushed in April and there is plenty of fluid in the resevoir. Again, the fuel pump and filter where replaced as well as ALL fluids replaced, air filter, IMRC unit and 1 o2 sensor. It's a 2000 Ford Contour 5 Speed, 2.5 liter V6 engine with over 117000 miles.
Wednesday, July 18th, 2007 AT 5:30 PM
INDYUKE
Thank you for your vote.

Ask your mechanic exactly what code is being stored. There are multiple codes that have to do with an oxygen sensor. There is a code that says the oxygen sensor reads a lean condition, in which case the oxygen sensor is NOT bad, merely being a messenger of another problem. There is an oxygen sensor code reading "too rich". Others for "out of range too low" or "too high" and anything in between. They all point to different problems and if we can know the exact code that would give us trail to follow. About the only codes that indicate that the sensor may be bad are ones that say it is responding too slowly and isn't even showing up on the profile.

If it is a vacuum leak, then the code that would MOST LIKELY show up is a code from the oxygen sensor saying you have a lean fuel mixture condition. That is because a vacuum leak is unmetered air being drawn into the intake that the computer doesn't know about. Causes bad driveability problems.

You saying that the car bucks most often going up a hill with a low tank of gas is a tough one. The only two things I can think of is that the tank has some water or sludge in it and when the tank gets low the pump will pick that stuff up. Other thing, the tank is vacuum sealed. Your gas cap should hiss when you remove it to fuel up. If it doesn't, then the cap might be bad.

I hope this helps. Again, let us know.
Thursday, July 19th, 2007 AT 10:22 PM
SHELBYGT
Dont be mean about about it this forum is not a mechanic shop it cant tell you exactly what the promblems are but guess what I wont help you any more with the attitude you have I was just trying give you advice and ps the cars dont make noise when the rubber pieces of the mount mount are worn I can tell you that because I had the same promblem so I hope you cant find the dam promblem
Saturday, July 28th, 2007 AT 12:29 PM
KIN CHAN
Look at the fuel trim. If it is vacuum leak. Then it should fall under load. If it is a MAF then it will go up underload. Hello. This is an OBD2 car yr 2000!. Any1 here care about fuel trim anymore?. If whoever told her keep replacing parts. That just the matter of finding a real mechanic who diagnose problem other than finding parts.I think help should be more of locating a cause rather than teaching people to be mechanic.
Saturday, July 28th, 2007 AT 2:49 PM