HOT WEATHER STARTING PROBLEM

1999 Ford Contour

bob2010

May, 27, 2010 AT 1:24 PM

1999 Ford Contour 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

After starting and stopping several times in hot weather the 1999 Ford Contour will not start. Temperature gauge is in the middle but not hot. No spark, battery nothing. After sitting for 30 - 60 minutes it starts like there was no problem. There is plenty of spark, good battery, good coolant. What can be the problem.
Tired of sitting and waiting.

June, 20, 2012 AT 11:11 PM

Fuel pump could be failing-check/monitor the fuel pressure-start here

Absolutely

June, 20, 2012 AT 11:16 PM

Have the same problem -- have changed the starter, replaced the coil-pack/ignition module, have no trouble codes (incl. In memory; also no freeze-frame). Strange to see no answer after almost 4 weeks!

rivermikerat

July, 20, 2012 AT 1:51 AM

As stated above, check fuel pressure. You could be experiencing what's known as "vapor lock" where the fuel pressure is too low to overcome the heat of the engine compartment and the fuel vaporizes in the lines.

Absolutely

July, 20, 2012 AT 3:45 PM

Rasmataz and Rivermikerat are experiencxed Ford technicians? The engine in the '99 Contour will NOT CRANK at all -- What could not cranking have to do with fuel and fuel pressure? The problem is not even one of ignition, but a starting issue (but NOT the starter). Also, obviously this is a known Contour 2.4L problem -- so where is previous experience?

rivermikerat

July, 20, 2012 AT 3:51 PM

Yes, we're both very experienced Ford techs. But, I misread your original post. I missed the "it doesn't crank" part and presumed it cranked, but wouldn't fire.

Check starter draw. Both when it is cold, and when it gets hot. Also, when hot, verify that there is power to the starter, and that the solenoid is activating. Also check battery voltage and electrolyte level. And yes, you CAN do that on supposedly 'maintenance free' batteries.

Also, since I used to OWN a 2.4L Contour myself and never had this problem, I wouldn't consider it a 'known issue'. Just because one or two people have the issue, doesn't make it a common or known one.

kater

July, 21, 2012 AT 3:28 PM

I also have a 1999 Ford Contour with the same starting issue. We are fine for the first errand. We have to wait 30 to 40 minutes for the engine to cool. We put on our seatbelts so we can hear if there is a humming sound so we know the engine will start. We call this car the one trip wonder. I am soooooo sick of wainting around so we can start the car. If you try to start it too early you have to wait another 30 minutes. So I think this is a problem with this model since my husband has a 2000 Ford Ranger that starts all of the time. Do we need to change the fuel pump or filter? Please help. Thanks

rivermikerat

July, 25, 2012 AT 2:49 AM

Check to see if the fuel pump is receiving power when the problem occurs. Kater, will it crank when the problems occurs, or does nothing happen when it occurs?

Absolutely, what's the verdict on power to and from the starter solenoid when the problem occurs?

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement