ENGINE DIED WHILE DRIVING, WON'T RESTART

1999 Ford Contour

tcarp03

June, 12, 2010 AT 9:54 PM

1999 Ford Contour 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

My car was running fine up until it died suddenly. I try to restart it and it turns but will not fire. I'm not sure what would cause this, and the engine has been very well maintained. I want to check out what I can before I take it to a mechanic. If the problem were the be electrical or a fuse, what should I do to check it? I don't know where the fuse would be located. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

June, 13, 2010 AT 4:38 AM

Lets do below for a start to determine if its fuel or spark related issue and get back with some results

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

Coach

May, 15, 2012 AT 6:01 PM

Sounds like it might be the timing belt.

dsmddn11

May, 18, 2012 AT 6:58 AM

Could be the timing belt, has happened to me 4 times on my Contour, everything else works fine, but the car won't start.