1992 Ford Bronco 28,000 RPM idel

• 1992 FORD BRONCO

1992 Ford Bronco V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 176, 00 miles

I just bought a 92 ford bronco XLT. And it ideals at 28,000 RPM. I have took the wire off or the cyloinod to maby elimanate the computer or some sensor, and that did not make any differance when I started it. I pulled the cyloinod of and started it, and no differance. It only gets about eight miles to the gallon and it has a realy rich smell. Please help

Sunday, October 26th, 2008 AT 9:30 PM

Hi williambillyolson and welcome to 2carpros

I don't think it will go that high-check the idle air control valve/motor and throttle position sensor also check the fuel pressure-

Too fast an idle speed. If an engine without computerized idle speed control is idling too fast and refuses to come down to a normal idle speed despite your best efforts to back off the carburetor idle speed screw or air bypass adjustment screw (fuel injection), air is getting past the throttle somewhere. Common leak paths include the carburetor and throttle body gaskets, carburetor insulator spacers, intake manifold gaskets, and of course, any of the engine's vacuum fittings, hoses and accessories. It is even possible that leaky O-rings around the fuel injectors are allowing air to leak past the seals. Another overlooked item can be a worn throttle shaft and a defective idle speed speed control motor/valve stuck in the extended (high idle speed) position/throttle position sensor. Also the throttle plate could be binding in its bore and kinked accelerator cable, coolant temperature sensor might not be operating properly misleading the computer that the engine is still cold and computer throwing fuel at it raising the idle speed.

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:11 AM