Front brake pad and rotor replacement instructions please?

DRE68
  • 2008 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Vehicle listed above is an SS model. I'm experiencing a tick once the brakes are applied. I think the brake are bad.
Saturday, June 6th, 2020 AT 9:28 AM

Hi,

Front brake pads and rotors really aren't too hard to do. If you do it yourself, make sure to purchase lifetime parts so you'll never have to pay for the parts again.

You can expect brake pads to last approximately 25,000 miles. However, that can change based on terrain and driving habits.

To start, here is a link that shows in general how it's done. You can use this as a guide:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle. The pics below correlate with the directions.

FRONT DISC BRAKE PADS REPLACEMENT
Front Disc Brake Pads Replacement
Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution .

Removal Procedure

1. Inspect the brake fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
2. If the brake fluid is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.

3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove the brake fluid with appropriate tool to the midway point before proceeding.
4. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .

6. Compress the front brake caliper pistons.

1. Install a large C-clamp over the top of the brake caliper housing and against the back of the outboard brake pad.
2. Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the pistons push into the brake caliper enough to slide the brake caliper off the rotor.
3. Remove the C-clamp from the brake caliper.

7. Remove the lower mounting bolt from the guide pin.

8. Rotate the brake caliper upward until it stops.

9. Remove the outboard brake pad.

10. Remove the inboard brake pad.
11. Remove the brake pad retaining clips from the brake caliper mounting bracket and discard.
12. Remove all foreign material from the brake caliper using denatured alcohol.

Installation Procedure

Important: When installing new brake pads, DO NOT reuse the old retaining clips for the brake pad. Use only NEW brake pad retaining clips.

1. Install the brake pad retaining clips to the brake caliper mounting bracket.

Important: Use care when installing the pad so the spreader springs are not excessively deformed.

2. Install the inboard brake pad.

3. Install the outboard brake pad.
4. Rotate the brake caliper down into position.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice .

5. Install the lower brake caliper guide pin bolt.

Tighten the brake caliper guide pin bolt to 64 N.m (47 lb ft).

6. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
7. Lower the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
8. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling (See: Brake Master Cylinder > Procedures > Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling) .
Caution: Refer to Firm Brake Pedal Caution .
9. Pump the brake pedal slowly and firmly to seat the brake pads.
10. Burnish the new brake pads. Refer to Brake Pad and Rotor Burnishing (See: Brake Pad > Removal and Replacement > Brake Pad and Rotor Burnishing) .

Front Brake Rotor Replacement

Tools Required

J 42450-A Wheel Hub Cleaning Kit
Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution

Removal Procedure

3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between thew maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, using a appropriate tool, remove the brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.

6. Compress the front brake caliper piston.

2. Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the piston pushes into the brake caliper enough to slide the brake caliper off the rotor.

7. Remove the mounting bolts from the brake caliper mounting bracket.

Important: When performing the following service procedure, the front brake caliper assembly and the front brake caliper mounting bracket can be removed as an assembly.

8. Remove the brake caliper and mounting bracket assembly. Refer to Front Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement (See: Brake Caliper > Removal and Replacement > Front Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement) .

9. Remove the retaining clips from the brake rotor.

Notice: Whenever the brake rotor has been separated from the wheel bearing flange, clean any rust or foreign material from the mating surface of the rotor and flange with the J 42450 hub cleaning kit. Failure to do this may result in increased lateral runout of the rotor and brake pulsation.

Important: If the brake rotor is not going to be replaced but just removed from the front hub, mark the relationship of the brake rotor and a wheel stud.

10. Remove the front brake rotor from the wheel hub.

11. Using the J 42450-A , clean the brake rotor contact area on the front hub.

Installation Procedure

Important: Ensure that the relationship marks on the brake rotor and the wheel stud are aligned before installing the brake rotor.

1. Install the brake rotor to the wheel hub.

2. Install the brake caliper assembly to the steering knuckle.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice .

3. Install the brake caliper mounting bolt.

Tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolt to 150 N.m (110 lb ft).

4. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
5. Lower the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
6. Fill the brake master cylinder to the proper level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling (See: Brake Master Cylinder > Procedures > Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling) .
7. Pump the brake pedal slowly and firmly in order to seat the brake pads.
8. Burnish the replaced or refinished rotors. Refer to Brake Pad and Rotor Burnishing (See: Brake Pad > Removal and Replacement > Brake Pad and Rotor Burnishing) .

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Thursday, March 4th, 2021 AT 8:23 PM
JEROME SMITH
  • 2007 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Okay, when I am coming to a complete stop my truck jerks back and forth plus my brakes go all the way to the floor. I have replaced my wheel hub bearing. I have replaced the brake caliper and also the front brakes. I am pretty sure it is coming from the front end of the truck. The only thing I need done so far is a front end alignment. Not sure If that the cause of the jerking. So what could be causing it to jerk when braking and why is my brakes going all the way to the floor when stopping new brake pads?
Tuesday, March 30th, 2021 AT 9:29 AM (Merged)
Hi,

Replacing front brake pads and rotors really isn't too hard. You can expect to get around 25,000 miles from a set of pads, but that is based on driving habits and terrain. Changing them yourself can save you a lot. If you get lifetime parts from a parts store and do it yourself, you shouldn't have to pay for brake pad replacement again.

First, here is a link that shows in general how the process is done:

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle. The attached pics correlate with the directions.

_______________________________

2007 Chevy Truck TrailBlazer 2WD L6-4.2L
Front Disc Brake Pads Replacement
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Pad Service and Repair Removal and Replacement Front Disc Brake Pads Replacement
FRONT DISC BRAKE PADS REPLACEMENT
Front Disc Brake Pads Replacement

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution.

Removal Procedure

pic 1

pic 2

4. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

pic 6

9. Remove the outboard brake pad.

pic 7

10. Remove the inboard brake pad.

pic 8

Installation Procedure

pic 9

pic 10

2. Install the inboard brake pad.

pic 11

3. Install the outboard brake pad.

pic 12

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.

6. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
7. Lower the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
8. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling.

Caution: Refer to Firm Brake Pedal Caution.

10. Burnish the new brake pads. Refer to Brake Pad and Rotor Burnishing.

_________________________________________

Rotor Replacement

Front Brake Rotor Replacement
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Rotor/Disc Service and Repair Removal and Replacement Front Brake Rotor Replacement
FRONT BRAKE ROTOR REPLACEMENT
Front Brake Rotor Replacement

Tools Required

J 42450-A Wheel Hub Cleaning Kit

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution.

Removal Procedure

pic 13

pic 14

pic 15

pic 16

pic 17

8. Remove the brake caliper and mounting bracket assembly. Refer to Front Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement.

pic 18

pic 19

pic 20

11. Using the J 42450-A, clean the brake rotor contact area on the front hub.

Installation Procedure

pic 21

pic 22

pic 23

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.

4. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
5. Lower the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
6. Fill the brake master cylinder to the proper level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling.

8. Burnish the replaced or refinished rotors. Refer to Brake Pad and Rotor Burnishing.

__________________________________________________

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions

Take care and God Bless,

CAROLINEPILUSO
  • 2006 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
One day when it was raining I went to roll my window down and the window went down and heard the front brake grinding. Please help the repair cost alone will cost but I cannot afford a diagnostic test and repairs, can you help me?
Replacing front brake pads and rotors really isn't too hard to do. If you do it yourself, make sure to get lifetime parts so you never have to pay for them again.

To get you started, here is a link that shows in general how it is done. You can use it as a guide.

If you look at the pics below, they include the directions and pictures specific to your vehicle for this job. Also, here is a video showing it being done on a Chevy Tahoe. It's a different vehicle, but the procedure is very similar.

https://youtu.be/PAjUx1Rct4Q

Take care,

PS: See pics below for directions.
HAYES123
  • 2006 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Is there a way you can give me instructions on how to do my brakes?
SEVAG PAESEGHIAN
Hello.

Just follow the instruction below step by step you can do the job.

check our guide how to replace front brake pads and rotors.

check the diagrams below how to replace front brake pads and how to measure disc brakes.

hope these helps.

thank you.
SEADOG
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
On my front calipers there are 2 bolts hold the caliper on, I see another bolt on the inside of the caliper that won't allow me to turn the holding bolt off. What is the right way to remove this caliper. Thank you
DENNYP
Remove the front brake caliper guide pin bolts.
Remove the front brake caliper from the mounting bracket.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/102900_783128_1.jpg

AELDER
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
My 03 Chevy trailblazer has started to make a squeaky noise every time that I brake but now I hear it all the time! What can it be? Maybe brakes?
Tuesday, March 30th, 2021 AT 9:30 AM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
I would start with checking all the brakes, even if the pads are ok, check the rotors for glazing and blue hop spots as well.
AELDER
The pads are not wore out yet but do feel the car pull towards the right which is the side where I hear the squeaky sound! Could it be the front end maybe need to be reset or something?
MHPAUTOS
If it is pulling under brakes have the caliper checked as it may be tight also get the steering and suspension inspected for wear, check the rotors for the hot spots as well.
J8196
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
When should I change my front and rear brake pads? I checked the front pads and they are a little more than a 1/4 inch thick. What is the recommended wear or thickness before replacement?

Thanks for your time
MMPRINCE4000
Generally they MUST be changed at 1/16 or sometimes 1/32.

But I would change them now, remove them and check the condition or the rotor, they should be turned or at least cleaned with brake clean. If there are any groves or uneven wear, have them turned or replaced.
Check condition of calipers, hose connection, slide pins, bolts. Replace any worn parts.

Rear pads generally do not wear as fast as fronts, but if they are 1/4" or lower, replace them.

Use good pads, not the 1 year specials. Wagner and Bendix have a "wear" warranty, so if they wear out you get replacements free. Most other "lifetime" pads are warranted against manufacturing defects not wear. But the wagner and bendix are usually twice the initial cost. So use them if you intend to keep the car for several years.

Sponsored links