ENGINE STALLING, SPEDOMETER/ODOMETER NOT W

1992 Eagle Talon

skmathew2

August, 8, 2010 AT 6:05 PM

1992 Eagle Talon 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 124000 miles

Right before I come to a complete stop, the engine quits, I can start it right back up and keep driving. This happens about 30% of the time when slowing down. The times it dosen't though the rpms sometimes drop to 500 or below, and the engine barely recovers. This problem occured within 10 minutes after the speedometer and odometer stopped working, all other gauges work. I also noticed that 1 of the 2 wires that connect to the negative terminal was disconnected. I hooked it back up, didn't fix anything, but could have this created one of the problems? (I disconnected the two wires when installing speakers, and I guess only connected one of them, and I drove with ony 1 of them for at least 100 miles before noticing)

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

legitimate007

August, 9, 2010 AT 1:28 PM

Is there a check engine light on?

legitimate007

August, 9, 2010 AT 1:29 PM

Because most likely the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission needs to be replaced. You may also want to have someone check/clean or change the idle air control valve. But I suspect the vehicle speed sensor is causing this mess. Keep me informed please

skmathew2

August, 9, 2010 AT 4:08 PM

There is no check engine light on.

I was going to replace the vehicle speed sensor, but im wondering if manual transmissions have a speed sensor because all the local auto parts stores only have speed sensors for auto tranny's.

Would the speedometer cable have the same function?

legitimate007

August, 10, 2010 AT 10:27 AM

Sorry, did not realize it was manual. So you put a system in your car. Did it start acting up since you put the system in? Ok lets work on the stalling part first. I suggest at this point that you clean the carb/throttlebody, throttle plate and check /change the idle air control valve. Also make sure your vehicle is getting plenty of air. By checking the airfilter. And the hose coming from the airbox, look for cracks in the hose. Replace if necessary. Get back to me.

skmathew2

August, 10, 2010 AT 12:57 PM

Local mitsubishi dealership looked at my car and said that my speedometer cable is broken. They said fixing that may correct all problems. Whats your opinion?

legitimate007

August, 10, 2010 AT 4:57 PM

Actually yes, I also did not realize that it was not fully electronic. With the speedometer fixed, the computer now has the info it needs for correct timing and injector pulse, so it doesn't continue to shut off. It still would be good to do. The cleaning I asked you to do, just for good measure

legitimate007

August, 10, 2010 AT 4:58 PM