FUEL / ELECTRICAL PROBLEM?

1991 Eagle Summit

R.G.S.

June, 8, 2008 AT 9:29 AM

1991 Eagle Summit 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 145000 miles

" original owner". It just stopped running on the highway. Turns over but wont start. The next day(after having it towed home). It starts and runs great but I am now afraid to drive it any distance. What should I check?
thanks, rgs.
note: just drove it again (running good) and it shut down after driving aprox 5 miles.

mastertechtim

June, 8, 2008 AT 3:47 PM

When it shuts down you need to find out whats missing. Spark or fuel. When its dead remove a spark plug wire and see if it sparks when cranking and get back to us

R.G.S.

June, 8, 2008 AT 6:29 PM

When it is dead, there is " no spark" .

mastertechtim

June, 9, 2008 AT 6:23 AM

This engine is pretty cut and dry, your problem is most likely going to be a bad distributor. There is a slight chance of a electrical problem but not probable, without doing elaborate testing which I think will end up in the same result, replace the distributor. If by any chance this does not fix the problem get back to us and we can trace wiring and go from there but I would be confident in replacing distributor.

mastertechtim

June, 9, 2008 AT 6:25 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/139033_ac_5.jpg

R.G.S.

June, 17, 2008 AT 9:44 AM

You were right on! I replaced the distributor and its running great again. I just wanted to follow up with you and to say thanks. You saved me $100 on a diagnostic test. Thank you, r.G.S.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe