1987 Dodge Truck Brakes

HOBO2U
  • 1987 DODGE TRUCK
Brakes problem
1987 Dodge Truck 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi I have a 1987 Dodge Dakota. I had to replace the two brake lines that run from the front to the rear. I bled the brake and fluid comes out with no air. I can`t get a good brake now. The peddle is almost to the floor. I also replaced the rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes. I think this model has a control valve and the height sensing proportioning valve. I am not sure about how they work. I would appreciate any help you could give me.
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 8:38 AM

DOCFIXIT
Did you bleed the front calipers?
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 8:48 AM
HOBO2U
Yes I bleed the front, rear and the Master Cly.
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 9:05 AM
DOCFIXIT
Doing all that leads one to conclude the master cylinder. If rears are adj with slight drag and your are able to bleed it cannot be the combo valve. When you bleed at the master do you get a big pressure spray?
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 9:10 AM
HOBO2U
Yes I get good pressure on the front line but the back line seems to be less
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 9:16 AM
DOCFIXIT
You have answered your own question low fluid pressure to rears means the primary piston seals are lealing past in master thus you get no pedal resistance until the seconday come on to apply front.
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 9:22 AM
HOBO2U
I installed new Master Cly. I still have no brakes. Fluid comes out the master Cly. Good. It comes out the front line first and then the rear line. I bleed the Wheel Clys. And the calibers again. Fluid comes out at all locations but still no brakes.
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 11:03 AM
DOCFIXIT
I reread your original post and am wondering thereis only one brake line to the rear it splits at the diff. So are theses the two?
Also do the brakes activate or apply and stop wheel rotation?
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 11:58 AM
HOBO2U
There are 2 Brake lines that run fron the front to the the rear. One line has larger fittings. At the rear it where it connects it has lines running to both wheels.
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 12:29 PM
HOBO2U
I had my wife pumping the brake for me. When I pumped the brake I got about half a pedal but it was spongy even after bleeding.
Again Thanks
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 1:48 PM
DOCFIXIT
I think there is still air in the lines. When you got the master did it come with couple fittings a some tube?
If so bench bleed master with them.
Then get a tube that will fit tight over wheel cyl bleeder put fluid in clear container keep tube in fluid open bleeder have wife pump keep up until no bubbles. Then bleed one moor time like you have been. Start at left rear then right.
Old school but it works
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 4:01 PM
HOBO2U
I did get brakes but now when it is started the pedal will go to the floor. Could this be another bad master Cly. Or can the power booster cause a problem like this?
Thanks for any help
Friday, July 11th, 2008 AT 9:41 AM
DOCFIXIT
Hobo
Was wondering what became of you. Seems you can't catch a brake!
Was there good pedal before you fired it up?
You may need to bleed with engine running.
Test the booster run engine turn off pump pedal 5-6 times you should hear air escape the booster. Then keep foot firm on pedal start engine pedal should move toward the floor, if so booster good.
That leaves you with the m/cyl
Friday, July 11th, 2008 AT 9:53 AM
HOBO2U
I wish you would give me a brake! I sure need one. It had about 3 4 of a pedal then I started it and it whet all the way to the floor.
Friday, July 11th, 2008 AT 10:03 AM
HOBO2U
Installed another new Master Cly. Still the same problem. Good pedal when engine is not running and when you start it down to the floor it goes. When I was young I had no problem doing work like this. I cannot understand why I am still having a problem
Friday, July 11th, 2008 AT 7:27 PM
DOCFIXIT
Hobo what ever happened?
Friday, July 25th, 2008 AT 2:43 PM