1979 DODGE TRUCK INTERMITTENT SPARK

• thenoob45952
  • 1979 Dodge Truck

1979 Dodge Truck V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 112000 miles

i've been having recent problems. My D-150 will start and run excellent for about 30 seconds then it will just die, and not start fo hours. It has a new cap, rotor, plugs, and ignition. The engine is a v8 318 with a 2bbl carb HELP!

Wednesday, February 17th, 2010 AT 3:36 PM

• Dr Loot

///

Thursday, February 18th, 2010 AT 10:25 PM
  • thenoob45952

Check your voltae regulator. Its usually on the firewall. Just take it off, and look at the back. Normally its a metal housing that contains the circuits inside, which are surrounded by this plasticy stuff. Look at the back, and see if its melted at all. I had a similar problem with my 79, and turns out that voltage regulator was fried.

Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 AT 7:01 PM
  • Dr Loot

Now that I think about it, I believe the you are experiencing is a faulty ballast resistor, on the firewall between the steering column in the Fender, it is easy to identify it is white porcelain 4 by 2 inches, with four wires connected to it, two on each end, it is easy to check, turned the key on and make sure you have 12 V going into the resistor, and I can't remember how much coming out I think 10V or 8V

Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 AT 7:28 PM
  • thenoob45952

It turned out to be a cheap chinese part. Turns out that the new voltage regulator I bought didnt have continuity between the clip for the plug and the outer housing, depriving it of a ground, so it wasnt charging. Now I have a new problem, it idles real rough occasionally.

Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 8:33 PM