'97 Dodge Stratus possible CV-joint prob? )=

NIKON305
  • 1997 DODGE STRATUS
2.4L 1997 Dodge Stratus with about 130,000 miles.

I noticed a little while ago there is a small trans fluid leak around the trans/dif area where the right side driveaxle plugs in but couldn't tell exactly where it is coming from. Transmission performance has been fine and only had to "topoff" the fluid.

But I have not been driving since I noticed the following:

_At low speeds I hear/feel slight clunk clunk sounds. They became more frequent as I drove the car home.

_When accelerating from a cruise I hear/feel clunk clunk sounds with shaky steering wheel.

_When decelerating or braking I hear/feel clunk clunk sounds but not as bad (just as scary though.)

_I feel the worse symptoms during acceleration. Nothing noticeable during slow maneuvering or turning while off throttle.

I've ruled out wheels, tires, suspension problems.
Engine is good and transmission is shifting fine.
Did come to find that the boot on the inboard cv joint of Left axle is loose. Not torn but loose.

So I'm guessing with above symptoms this is an inboard CV joint prob? How can I test to be sure?

And I'm praying that little trans leak is unrelated? I was gonig to have that checked out soon at my upcoming trans service. I do all other [engine] work on my own. Maybe I can fix it while I'm swapping axles?

thanks!
Tuesday, May 29th, 2007 AT 4:30 PM

JACK42
Could very well be a cv problem. The leak just sounds like an axle seal, they are fairly easy to replace
Wednesday, May 30th, 2007 AT 8:00 AM
NIKON305
Just wanted to say thanks for your quick reply. I went ahead with the CV repais that weekend. And I pretty much refreshed my whole suspension while I was at it. New ball joints. Tie rods, etc.

It was indeed an inner cv problem. And there is no more leak since I replaced the axleshaft seals.
Thursday, July 12th, 2007 AT 5:57 PM