ENGINE HESITATION ANS STALLING WHILE IDL

2005 Dodge Stratus

bluesea16

March, 21, 2009 AT 11:40 AM

2005 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 49,230 miles

I recently had a new battery and spark plugs installed last week. When I use the heater or defroster, the engine wants either hestitate or stall out. I was told it may be an AC compressor or a throttle issue.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

caradiodoc

March, 26, 2009 AT 5:24 PM

Any time the battery is disconnected or run dead, minimum throttle must be relearned so the engine computer knows when it has to be in control of idle speed and when you have your foot on the gas pedal.

Drive the car at highway speed, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals. The engine computer will memorize the throttle position sensor reading. Anytime it sees that value from now on, it will control idle speed. The engine might not run well and the transmission might shift weird until both computers update to various drive-train characteristics. This is the price we pay for having dozens of unnecessary, complicated, unreliable computers to do simple tasks.