ENGINE WON'T START

2001 Dodge Stratus

SharonT

February, 3, 2009 AT 12:28 PM

2001 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

Car won't start (no turnover, no click) Most of the time it is an overnight thing where it doesn't start. Possibly draining somehow overnight. After it starts in day (if I jump it) it will start everytime. Alternator checked ok and I just put a brand new battery. HELP Sharon

Docfixit

February, 3, 2009 AT 2:30 PM

Your right something is on. Need a phantom battery drain test done to ID the circuit and repair. Short term solution is pull negative cable for the night

SharonT

February, 3, 2009 AT 3:18 PM

Thanks! A few times I noticed or a neighbor did that my brake lights were on at night, so I have been checking to make sure brake doesn't stick (if it is how do you fix that? WD40? Still want to be able to stop) I don't really understand the phantom battery test? My dad checked the battery and said it was good (but he's pretty old) and Walmart put it on machine and said it was bad.I will try negative cable thing tonight but need to know if I can go to a place such as Autozone to have them check if my alternator voltage is low (will they charge me) or could it be my starter? Thanks! Sharon

Docfixit

February, 3, 2009 AT 3:31 PM

Brake lights on that is it look up on top of pedal seea switch that contacts pedal? That is the switch taht turns on lights. It is threaded and can be adjusted see if that will cut lights off. Then you will be good to go.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test